spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  Journeyman TechnicianWorked on small to large engines for 30 yearsGas,LP,Diesel
65057319

how do you take out and put in the pistons in a zetor 5718

Customer Question

how do you take out and put in the pistons in a zetor 5718 tractor
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'm ok waiting for an answer

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you need more information about the tractor?

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome

Sorry for long delay

Would you please provide me with Yr and engine numbers and size anything you can find to help me Identify your engine?

What is it that you are trying to do, re ring engine?

What's wrong with engine now?

In chassis or out of chassis?

I've rebuilt hundreds of engine so I will do my best to help you get this figured out.

I'm usually online from about 6am -6 pm C.S.T. USA ( I don't know what the time difference is from there to here)

Talk soon spanky

x
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the year of the tractor is 1976.

engine number is 52780.

the engine size is about 58 horsepower.

we're going changing all the pistons and rings in the engine ?

she losing power power going up hill with nothing on her. she's also started blowing oil up the exhast pipe. would the valve be gone in her aswel because she's doing this?

The tractor is still in chassis. haven't done anything yet

Talk 2 you soon

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Okay,
If you can get the engine oil pan off in chassis you may have to disconnect motor mounts and raise engine, you can do what's called a in frame overhaul.

Yes you need to get valves done, it can be getting compression past the guides and that puts pressure in crank case and blows oil out.

So once you pull head and pan you can disconnect rods and pull out the top,and re ring pistons as long as cylinder walls are good.
You won't know until it's apart.

NOTE: make sure to mark caps on rods and note which way bearing tangs are, if put in wrong it will cause damage to crank.
You can take a scribe and scribe some lines on one side of rod so you know how they get put back together.

It's a lot cheaper then a new engine and less work doing it this way.

It should take about 30 hours if you have done these before.

This saves you from pulling front apart and disconnecting from trans.

So strip it down,pull pistons and inspect.
You would also want to do rod and main bearings and oil pump.

It's a big job but as long as the rest of tractor is good it's well worth the time and money.

Best of luck to you
spanky
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The piston rings are all broking in the the tractor. there is 1 of the pistons damaged. the head was filled with oil. would this be why there was oil blowing out the exhaust

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Yes the rings being broken will cause high crankcase and the piston damage.

It would have been very messy with a lot of oil going out exhaust.

You did find the problem but since you have head off I would still get it rebuilt.
Check valve guides and seals no need to pressure check since you did not have water in oil so that should be okay.

Also have them check head for flatness and machine if needed.

You would also want to put a set of injectors or nozzles in to.

Good job hope all goes well
Take care
spanky

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was messey all right

if I put new piston rings on the 3 good pistons and put a 1 new piston for the one that was damaged would this work

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Yes but make sure you hone out all cylinders walls.

A ball hone works the best, do not use a stone hone.

Make sure to put new piston on rod the same way it came off,some pistons are directional so look at top of pistons there should be a line indented in piston that goes to front and if put in wrong damage can occur.

Hones come in different diameters and when hone out cylinders it leaves a cross hatch pattern so the new rings will seat.
If you skip this step your rings will not seat.

Make sure to torque all rods,and head bolts, you can get torque setting from whomever you but parts from.

Always start with a lower torque and gradually go up to final torque in at least 3 stages.
Re torque again after final torque.Start in the center and work in a circle pattern going to outside and mark after your done with a marker so you know you did not miss any.

Before installing head, blow out all bolt holes, otherwise it will cause a hydrostatic lock and pistons will not go up and down, they will stick and cause engine damage.
Make sure to lube all head bolts prior to installing and torquing, let drip dry, to much oil and the will not torque correctly.

It sounds like engine overheated causing broken rings make sure to install a new oil pump and thermostat and make sure engine does not overheat.
You may want to get radiator flushed out while apart,it would be a good idea.

You can always come back and ask me questions after you rate or accept answers I have given you. I know it says it closes question but the question will stay open for at least 30 days and you can always come back for more info about this question not new ones.

Bookmark page so you don't loose it.

Best of luck to you. I will be around if you need something clarified.

Take care
spanky