dd85
dd85, Foreman
Experience:  Service manger for over 18 years in same Dealership
15057492

Hi, I have a john deere x740 mower. It started overheating

Hi, I have a john deere x740 mower. It started overheating after 2 hours of use at the weekend. I checked oil and it was ok, and coolant all ok, drive (fan belt) working. I then found that it was clogged with dry grass and dust in between the radiator, so cleaned that out completely. However its still overheating. I got on it yesterday when it was cold and just let the engine run. after about 3-4 mins the temp needle started moving and just continued all the way round to red, so I turned it off. I have read the troubleshooting part in the manual, and checked all the things it says to stop overheating, but it still is. can you help me please ? many thanks, Dave
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Dave,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  dd85 replied 3 years ago.
This sounds like the engine thermostat.
Because of the quick heating up.
Sometimes they will after being overheated, stick closed and not allow water/antifreeze to pass by.
It should be located on the engine head where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine head.
dd85, Foreman
Experience: Service manger for over 18 years in same Dealership