Dan
Dan, Field Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

After replacing a partly disintegrated small fuel line inside

Customer Question

After replacing a partly disintegrated small fuel line inside the tank, and reassembling the unit, the engine fired a couple of times and since has not fired at all. Can you help?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.I am Daniel and will do what I can to assist you. Please do not rate me until we are finished. Please feel free to ask as mush as you need. If the engine will not fire, it can be for a number of reasons. I am assuming that the engine started and stayed running before you replaced this fuel line?what components did you have to disassemble in order to replace it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The body of the unit is in 2 halves. After separating them to get at the broken fuel line inside the tank, I replaced it with a new line and threaded it through the tank wall as per instructions and attached the new line to the carburettor. The unit was then reassembled. The carburettor was not dismantled in any way and the body halves were screwed back together in the reverse order to which they were disassembled. When filling the tank with fuel I made sure that the fuel was getting to the carburettor i.e no airlocks in the fuel lines. The spark plug was not touched apart from re-securing it in its place when I reattached the 2 halves.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes your assumption is correct. No components were disassembled as such but the unit is in 2 halves so they had to be separated to get at the fuel line. This new line was threaded through the wall of the fuel tank and the filter attached inside the tank and the new line was attached to the carburettor at the other end. Everything was replaced into its original positions as this was the only way the unit could be reassembled.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am happy to wait for an answer, I realise it is not an easy question to deal with quickly. Thank you for your help!

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be glad to help. If you have verified good compression and spark, timing is correct then the most likely cause is a faulty carburetor. check for a inline screen to the carburetor inlet and clean it out. If there is no screen on yours then the carburetor will need to be disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and rebuilt. The debris from the tank and fuel lines as well as deteriorated fuel has likely plugged your carburetor internally and also likely cause some corrosion. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** not have the kit to verify compression, spark, timing, but I can replace the plug and then check the fuel and carburettor as you suggest. I will let you know.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Pleasure to help.