Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have been trying to sync my Galaxy S4 to outlook and contacts

Customer Question

I have been trying to sync my Galaxy S4 to outlook and contacts on my laptop using Kies. Previously it worked but recently it demanded an upgrade to Kies 3 which I duly undertook. Since then it states "the connected device is not supported by Kies 2.6". I have re-downloaded Kies 2.6 but it again statesas above and requires upgrade to Kies 3 which then does not offer sync. How do now I sync outlook calendar /contacts with my S4?? It was only bought in May and I was assured that syncing was straightforward and fully supported. Please help as I need this function for my work. Thanks
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

Do you know if the software on your phone is upto date.

I have a s4 on vodafone and my software verison is 4.2.2

To check the phone is upto date goto settings click on more then goto about device. Software update is the at the top.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl My device says it is Android 4.3

Current firmaware is shown as PDEA-MJ7/Phone-MJ7/CSC-MJ6 (VOD)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you there? I am not getting any further response to my reply!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Answer came too late. Need an answer today. Expert gone off line

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

I am sorry that your Galaxy S4 is having problem syncing with Kies.

Please do the following method:

First uninstall Kies from your computer.
Go back to Samsung website and download/install Kies 3 on your computer.
Connect your phone to computer to sync.

If that did not work, please do a quick reset on your S4 phone:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Application Manager -> ALL (swipe to the right to select ALL)
  3. Select Media Storage.
  4. Select Clear data.
  5. Go back to ALL and select Google Services Framework.
  6. Select Clear data.
  7. Shutdown your phone and turn it back on.
  8. Now connect your phone back to computer and sync with Kies again.

If these methods did not work or you need more help, please reply back to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Completed all you say. I now have no contacts left on my phone so I am actually now worse off; diary has not updated as there is no sync tab on Kies 3. How do I at least restore the contacts list to my phone?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
No contacts on your phone?

Did you sync with your Outlook contact with Kies again?

And did the contacts disappear after the 2nd method where you reset the phone's settings?

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you are missing the point. There is no option on Kies 3 to sync with anything, only back up/ restore. The contacts were on my phone and I was trying to transfer them also to the laptop. I now don't have them on either device or laptop following your instructions above. I do have some of them still stored on an old desktop. How can I now at least get them back on to the phone?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your update.

Please do the following steps to upload your contacts from old desktop to your phone.

On your Desktop, export your contacts to VCF file type.
Connect your S4 phone to your Desktop.
Transfer the VCF file(s) to your phone.
On your S4, go to People. Press Menu button and select Import/Export->Select Import from internal/phone memory.
Your contacts will be imported to your S4 phone.

Nick
Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Another way is to import your contacts to Gmail:

Export Outlook Contacts

1. In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.
  2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
  3. Click Comma Separated Values (Windows), and then click Next.
  4. In the folder list, click the Contacts folder, and then click Next.
  5. Browse to the folder where you want to save the contacts as a .csv file.
  6. Type a name for the exported file, and then click OK.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click Finish.

Import Contacts into Google Gmail

1. Log on to Gmail, and then click Contacts at the top of the page.

The Contacts list opens in a new window.

1. Click Import Contacts.
  2. Click Browse, and then navigate to the .csv file that you created in the "Export Outlook Contacts" section of this article.
  3. Select the file, and then click Import Contacts.

After your contacts are imported, a dialog box appears and displays the total number of contacts imported. Your phone will then sync with your Gmail contacts. Your contacts will show up on the phone after 5 minutes or so.

Now when you add a contact on the phone, make sure your Gmail account is selected on the list to add to.

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now trying to obtain Gmail to phone. Will this still allow me to run with my existing mail addresses and to use Outlook as my primary mail repository and calendar base? Sorry if I sound so uneducated. I am 62 and much of this is new to me.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it will.

On your new computer, please go to Play.Google.com. Search for AirDroid and see if you can setup your phone and computer to sync via AirDroid. You need to download AirDroid app on your phone.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Found the airdroid app for the computer and for the S4. I notice there is also a Kies Air there. Should I try that first?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
You can try Kies Air. However AirDroid works better for many people.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I follow your advice. Airdroid is now on both my phone and my laptop - I think. I have pressed "install" on both. Where do I now find it on windows 8? And what do I do next?

Which e-mail address to I register on the phone? Gmail or my usual GMX address?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I have been away from my computer.

You can get the instructions on AirDroid page. They will show you the steps to connect and sync wirelessly.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have looked everywhere on the site and the phone and cannot find any reference on Airdroid to syncing calendars. What next?

I am sorry but this has still not solved the original problem of syncing my Galaxy calendar to my laptop outlook

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your update.

Please try to use Kies Air to sync your phone with Outlook.

If you need immediate assistance, I will reopen your question to all experts for suggestions.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kies Air does not support outlook calendar sync either. Sadly this has not proved to be successful. I am still unable to sync my Samsung S4 calendar to Outlook in the way that I was previously able to. Thanks for trying - but it has not proved successful.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your update. Let me reopen your question to all experts for other suggestions.

Nick
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The problem is Kies 3 only works with the S4, but they have not added the Synch option to it yet (this is planned for release).

Can I ask, what email service is outlook on your computer connecting to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my main e mail provider is gmx.com; my ISP is EE on which I also have an old freeserve account ( later wanadoo, then Orange now EE)

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, currently the only way you will be able to synch the calendar and contacts via Outlook is to use a Microsoft Hotmail account.

Do you currently have one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think so. There seem to be too many accounts and passwords these days. I have something listed as my Microsoft account using my gmx address as the log in. Would that be it?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, but we will get you set up with it.

Which version or Outlook are you using?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All I know is that it came with Microsoft office Professional Plus 2013. Sorry if I sound so dumb. I am just an ignorant user

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thats ok

What you need to do is the following.

First, go to www.hotmail.com

create a free account.

Once you have created this, in Outlook do the following steps to add this account to outlook.

Click Me To View

Once you have added the account in Outlook, you need to use this accounts Contacts and Calendar as it is synched online.

You can drag your contacts into the Contacts Folder i this account in order to add it.

Once done, you then setup the Galaxy S4 with your Hotmail account so you can synch it. To do this, follow the steps here please.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/to-go

follow the instructions under Android.

Once done, your contacts are then synched. Until Samsun filx the issue in kies, this is the way you will need to do this.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now checked. My hotmail account existed with my gmx address as primary alias but a different password to that which i use on the gmx.com account. Anyway I now have a running hotmail account with the app open on the Samsung. How do I now get the calendar info from the S Planner on the S4 to my laptop and vice versa so that I cna for instance accept Outlook diary invites into my calendar and ensure that both tell me the same thing?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
As I explained, you need to move on your computer, the Contacts and Diary events to the Hotmail Contacts and Diary events we just created in Outlook.

then you add the Hotmail account on your phone, via the instructions I did.

Did you do all my instructions? As then you have the contacts and diary events synching with your computer on the Hotmail account.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HOW!? I am trying to follow your instructions but getting lost. How do I move diary events on to the new Outlook calendar? I do not see any means to drag things. I see something which says import calendar but then asks me to browse and I do not see my calendar to import.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You can click and drag on the event.

If you cannot do this, then you can just export all events from the calendar and import into the Microsoft Hotmail account.

To do this, on the below link, it will show you how to both Export (from the GMX account) the calendar events and import into the Hotmail account (as you select the account to import into).

https://techarticles.uark.edu/calendar/export_and_import_outlook_calendars/

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Followed all instructions as shown Exported to file as .csv file then tried to import from that file to the hotmail calendar. Got:

"There's a problem with the ICS file you're trying to add. Something may have gone wrong when the file was originally exported. You may want to re-export the file and try again". Treid repeatedly without success

I've had enough. This has been nearly 2 weeks of stressful hell - not your fault. I take a break and come back to it later.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, but when you do it again, dont choose a CSV file, instead choose a Outlook Personal Data file to export out to.

There is data in one of your events causing an issue with the CSV file, but this other format will work.

Once you have exported it and import it into this new account, it synchs online and then to your phone.

I have marked this question to never close, so when you are ready, just return and complete these instructions to have it completed. There is no time limit on this.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.