carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

I am trying to set up my existing email account on my new Samsung

Customer Question

I am trying to set up my existing email account on my new Samsung Galaxy S4 phone but keep encountering problems. I have entered the correct information but keep getting the following error message on the phone: 'unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server.' I have checked and the server is working and I am receiving emails normally via my Macbook Pro. Please advise. Many thanks. Annette
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

Please could you let me know who your email provider is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carl

my email provider is namesco which we use for the incoming emails but the outgoing server/emal goes via our bt account: btinternet.com. I've been onto my outlook and gone through all the account settings for the POP3 (incoming) and IMAP (outgoing) details etc but it still doesn't work I must warn you I'm no tech expert so it might be user error! Do you need any mor detals? Many thanks Annette

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Annette,

Could you use the following server for the incoming server. With the mailbox type set to pop3.

pop3.hosts.co.uk

If we try and get the incoming mail sorted first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I've already tried thoe server details for the incoming (got it from the Outlook advanced settings information) and it still wont work. More than happy to talk over the phone if that helps. I've not used this service befor so not sure what the protocol is. thanks

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid we cannot talk over the phone. We have to talk using the chat so that it can be used in an archive.

What is the error message you get when using that server?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okey dokey re phone. I get 2 different messages mainly: 'unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server.' and sometimes 'not authenticated'. I've phone Namesco today to check their servers haven't bee down etc and they haven't. Also my email via the laptop is working fine. Does that help? Thanks

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

How is your phone connected to the internet is it using a wifi connection?

Have you checked your username and password XXXXX password XXXXX be case sensitive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the phone (assume it's the mobile) is connected via Wifi. I've checked the username and password XXXXX times and also checked this with Namesco to ensure all up to date.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

Could you try a different email program on your phone. Could you try a program called K9 i use it instead on the samsung one.

If you try and setup your email in that program we can rule out a problem with the email software.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I can try but how an earth do I do that. Please can you email all the information I would need as I don't know this at all. thanks

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

I will type a document and send you a link to it. I am afraid i have to go out for a bit but I will get onto it as soon as I am back.

The program you need can be download from here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en

If you can view this page on your phone you will be able to download it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks I will try this now. Don't worry about the timescale, it's been drivign me nuts for a few days now so another one will make no difference. Tomorrow will be fine to sort it as we have people round a bit later too. Happy New Year!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think we may be getting closer to the problem. I've just tried the above address and got the following error message: the server at www.play.google.com can't be found because the DNS look up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a websites name to its internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing internet from accessing the network'. Could I have a misconfigured network? And if so how do I solve that? Don't worry if it's tomorrow now before you can get back. Just wanted t send this whilst I had the error message on the phone.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just to let you know another message i keep getting is: unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server.' Also I've tried to download the K9 app and the phone won't let me, the message this time is: clear default app setting by going to tasl manager > clear default and tapping clear'. I'm just tryng to find the task manager to do this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carl I was just wondering if you have had any further thoughts on my query/problem? Many thanks Annette

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Annette,

Sorry for the delay for some reason I never saw your replies until today.

Are you still having DNS errors? The quickest way to check is just to go to the bbc or some site like that, it could be the error was just a blip of no internet.

The task manager on a S4 is accessed by holding the home button for a second.

Would you be able to try downloading the k9 program again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carl

I've tried to download the K9 app several times but it won't let me. I've not had the DNS message again and I have been able to access websites as normal. I found the task manager and reset the default app setting but I still can't get me email to work. Any other thoughts other than K9 which I can't download? Many thanks Annette

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Annette,

Can you search for the k9 app in the play store and see if it will download. I will try and get a namesco email and see if I can set it up on my S4 to see if I run into problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've gone into the play store and have tried to downoad K9 from there but it won't download, it has gone into a continuous circle timer. I tried to set up my email on my daughters S4 and had the same problems on her phone as I did mine so I don't know if that helps at all. I've also switched the wifi off to check the internet settings are working and they are. I can use websites such as BBC news etc. Is this a common problem? It's starting to drive me mad. Thanks

Annette

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

I have never had a problem setting up emails on my s4. I can apprecate it is driving you mad. I cannot understand why you cannot download k9 it does sound a bit like a network problem but if you can browse the internet it may not be.

Do you have another email you could try and setup on your phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's just my luck! I do have another email account from 1and1 and i tried to set that up too and had similar problems. I will try that one again now as I can't remember the error messages but I think they were the same as the namesco email. Will get back to you once I've tried.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've just tried to set up the other email account (which is an imap one) and get the same error message - incoming: 'unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server.' and the outgoing error message is: authentification failed.

It seems strange that 2 different emails from totaly diferent companies and presumably servers have the same error message? Let me know what you think I should try next. Thanks.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

Do you have trouble with you s4 connecting to wifi. Mine has a problem where it keeps dropping the wifi connection. I am starting to think the problem is more a network error than an email error.

Have you tried using mobile data to setup the email accounts?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is where I show my thick side but how can i try the mobile data set up? If you give me some instructions I will give it a go. I've jst been onto Namesco and asked them to send some set up instructions as a double chekc so as soon as that information comes through I will check I have been using all the right information. I don't think this is the issue, I think you are right re: the network error as I get the same problem with both email accounts. Let me know about the mobile data thingy. thanks

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
The mobile data should be setup already by your network provider. Are you able to browse the web when you are out and about if you can the mobile data is setup. The best speed is when you have a H+ displayed 3G displayed is the next best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I've checked the mobile data and it is switched on and I have used the internet when I'm out and about. The phone has 4G if that helps. any other thoughts? Did you have any problems setting up Namesco account on your S4?

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

I have not managed to try setting up a namesco email on my s4, I have to go out now but should be back later and I will try and setup the account later and let you know the results

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi just wondered if you have any other solutions to my email query. If not is there anyone else who could hlpea t Just Answer? Many thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carl

I haven't heard from you so do I assume that you can't help me any further? If so and as Just Answer hasn't answered my query do I still have to pay £28? Please advise or advise of anyone else who ight be able to help.