Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

My Sony Xperia Z screen has cracked, it was not dropped or

Customer Question

My Sony Xperia Z screen has cracked, it was not dropped or bashed, there is a crack coming from just below the power button. The phone was fine I had a message while I was out there was a software upgrade available, when i went to turn the wifi on at home the screen was cracked and the phone unusable. What am I likely to be charged to replace the screen and what could have caused this?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
How old is it?
What company did you get it from?
Do you have insurance from your carrier?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

6 months old

o2

no insurance

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Before we continue I want to make sure you are aware it is possible you would need to buy and replace a part in order to fix this.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i am aware it will need a new screen and probably new internal parts

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Possibly only the screen, does it do anything at all when you have it on?
For example other than the crack does the home screen show properly.
Are you looking to replace it yourself or do you just want an estimate on what would be needed and about what it would cost?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am after finding out what would cause this to happen so i can prevent it happening again. an idea of how much it will cost to repair so i have something to go against when i get the quote back from them.

the screen comes on but is unusable as i cannot swipe off the key lock due to the cracks coming from by the power button

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
To be honest I have never heard of it happening without the phone being dropped, or something falling on it. If it ever had a tiny chip in the screen those can spread and cause what you are describing as well. If it is not responding to touch either it mens the digitizer has failed as well.

The digitizer is what allows the screen to respond to your finger. The screen + digizer costs $135 or £98: Click Here. The labor would cost you about an hour at their shops rate smaller shops are usually $65/£50 to $75/£65 per hour. A factory shop like direct to sony is normally about $125/£90 per hour.

To get this fixed the average price would be around $200 to $300 or £145 to £220. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the screen was fine the phone had not been dropped

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I did not say it was dropped (and did not mean for it to sound like I thought it was) just that I have never seen it personally, the answer however remains the same in order to fix this the display screen and touch digitizer would need to be replaced. Since it is under a year old I would contact O2 as you may still be covered under factory warranty, however if not the prices I mentioned before are what you would be looking at for repairs since there is no insurance on it. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.