Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Im thinking about buying a tablet. I have iTunes on my laptop

I'm thinking about buying a tablet. I have iTunes on my laptop and an iphone 5 but I would want the tablet do much more than play music and movies etc. I do all my work on Microsoft office and would at least like to access but ideally edit documents on the tablet. Is this possible?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

It is all possible, but can you tell me what budget you have in mind? As this is the best way to start

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard.

I was hoping no more than £400-£500

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Martin

what you will want then in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

You can get it for $269 here

click me to Open

It will play all your music and with the App installed (Kingston Office), it will allow you to view and edit your office documents directly on the Tablet.

It is the best value for money out of the Tablet ranges.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you mean Kingsoft Office. I downloaded that app on to my iphone. The first thing it told me was that editing spreadsheets was not available but coming soon.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
That is for iPhones, I am referring to Android devices Marting.

It is Kingsoft sorry, and on the Android, you can edit Spreadsheets.

The app is here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wps.moffice_eng&hl=en

And you can see the ability here

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/support-for-android-office/2822-android-spreadsheet-edit.html

Android tablets are more functional and cheaper then Apple, which is why In recommend this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks for the info. I'm on a learning curve with this now. Would I be able to use the tablet's keyboard to input text into a spreadsheet using that app or would I have to use the one in the example where one key has several functions.

Also, I don't know much about these things so could I ask how I would access the files on my laptop from the tablet?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes you would, it is an onscreen keyboard and works just like a normal keyboard.

You connect the Tablet to the Laptop, and the Laptop sees the Tablet as a removable device (Like a USB Memory Stick).

You then just copy the files directly from it (or to it).

Feel free to ask Martin if you would like any additional information please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. If I did decide to spend more and bought an Apple iPad Air for instance is there no way I could open and edit excel and word documents?

If the answer is no what about the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition?

Both these have bigger screens which I know I didn't specify but I think I would prefer and they both came out top in a survey carried out by the UK's most respected consumer magazine Which?

I would value your opinion.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You can though it is limited

The App Quickoffice will allow you to edit both Excel and Word

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again. Finally, if money was no object which of the two I mentioned in the last post would you choose?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.

The android platform (what Samsung uses) is much better and functional then Apples.

I would go for the Note or the Tab 3. From them two, as money is no object, the Note, it is just more nicer to use Martin.

Feel free to ask if you would like more information please.