Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a Google Nexus 7 tablet. It is displaying a message:

I have a Google Nexus 7 tablet. It is displaying a message: Unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped working. I have found suggestions on how to fix this problem but am unable to access Settings (including in safe mode) because the message won't go away, how ever many times you press REPORT or OK
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

First step I would like you to do is to hold the power button down for about 30 seconds, until the Tablet switches off.

Then switch on the Tablet and tell me if it now displays this message please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried this. Message currently displayed is 'Unfortunately, Download Manager has stopped'. Once I OK this, I get the original error message which I can't seem to get past

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, then if we cannot get to settings, we will need to Factory Reset the Tablet.

It will remove all data and return the Tablet to new, but we cannot avoid this.

To do this

If your tablet is on, power it off.

Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.

Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.

Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

While holding down Power, press Volume Up.

Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.

Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.

Once the reset is complete, setup the Tablet again like when you first received it and it should now function correctly.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure if you received my last message. Everything OK now but

1) Do you know what might have caused this? and 2) Where is the factory reset documented, if anywhere

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It would have been a corrupted App or system process that caused this.

You can find the reset instructions here Pete.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2668187?hl=en

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.