Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
63271161

how to retstart Samsung SII without Emergency Call message

Customer Question

how to retstart Samsung SII without Emergency Call message on screen
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is Nick and I will help you today.

I am sorry that your phone is having Emergency Call Only screen. This means the phone's software is corrupted. The only way is to Reset the phone back to Factory Settings. This reset will erase all data on the phone. Data on SIM card and SD card will be safe.

1. Remove battery out and put it back in.
  2. Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
  3. Release all buttons when Logo comes up.
  4. You will see the menu options:
  5. Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home or Power button)
  6. Select Yes — delete data.
  7. Finally, select Reboot system now.
  8. Your phone will reboot and go through setup steps.

You might not get it work the first time. Remove the battery and try again.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply back to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nice One Nick - thanks for your reply, I did indeed try a Hard Restart, but I'm going to follow your advice and go thru the whole process again.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, it was very much appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon (although, not too soon!!!!)

Thanks again, Marcus W London England. Thanks mate have a good day, whatever time it is over where you are!

If I get another problem, I'll be in touch. Actually, there was one problem that puzzled me, when doing the Hard Re Start the little Android logo fell over really quickly and then before I could choose the list of options to follow it went back to 'normal' mode' - does that mean the phone is really f**ked up? I did kind of come across it via dubious means, if you know what I mean! And can it be fixed at all. I'm not very techy at all (that's why I'm writing to you guys! Ta for now...

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Marcus,

You are very welcomed. First of all, you might see the Android robot lays on its back screen. Just Power off and try the steps again.

Please rate my answer so I can get scredit. Let me know if you have any issues or questions. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nick, thanks for getting back to me. Just one more question for you, are there a limited number of times one has do a Hard ReStart on the SII (or any other phone for that matter) or after a while will it just give up and switch off it's systems altogether. Never to even try to start-up again?

I don't wanna over do the re starts, cos that way I'll have no phone whatsoever! Thanks Dude...

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Marcus,

There is no limit on how many times you do Hard Reset. As long as the phone's boot files are working normally, you can do as many times as you pleased.

However, if the phone's bootloader and boot files not working, you will not be able to Hard Reset. We will have to do a Factory Reset using Kies on computer.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Nick - it's morning here in the UK now, so I feel a little bit more 'human'. Thanks for your advice, it was great and worked well. Like I said, I've got two SII's and on one of them your advice worked fantastically. But on the other the little Android man kept falling over after about 3 seconds, giving me no chance to properly choose what option I wanted to use.

But on the both of them, although they worked AND I had a properly working GMail address, I cannot seem to hold down a GMail address - which as you know is vital for accessing certain services. Without one, you're completely lost. Can you offer any help here too? I must have tried 10 or 20 different names addresses and phone numbers and each time I get let in with 'Congratulations' on the first time and, there's an email welcoming me to the world of Google email/password on subsequent occasions then the next time I try to use the exact same address and Password Google blocks my account - have you any idea why this might be? Thank You so much - Marcus - London - England (I'm certainly getting my moneys worth with you my friend, you've most certainly been mighty helpful though, I can't thank you enough my friends - Thank You so much for you prompt and knowledgeable help, it's certainly helped me out of a tight spot there Nick.

Later on tonight I hope my friend. Thanks [email protected] - Just one more thing, would changing the SIM card help at all? I don't mind losing all the data, that's not a problem at all. Your thoughts??? Marcus

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Marcus,

For the one keeps failing, does it boot to Emergency Calls Only as well?

You can try this method to reset it:

First go to www.samsung.com/uk/Kies to download Kies (not Kies 3).
Install Kies and open it after installed.
On your phone, remove the battery. Write down Model and Serial number.
Put it back and hold Volume Down + Home + Power.
Your phone will show Downloading mode.
Connect your phone to computer.
On Kies, click on Tools->Firmware upgrade and Initialization.
Enter the model and serial number.
Then follow the rest of the steps to restore your phone.
When done, your phone should setup and work normally.

Regarding Gmail, you will need to find out which you used on the phone. On your computer, go to play.google.com and log into your Gmail account. Then go to Settings->Manage Android devices. See if your phones are on the account. If yes, use that account.

Cannot remember? You can go to gmail.com and register a new Gmail account. Use it with both phones. Just remember to write down the login info in your MAIN email account for future reference.

Hope to hear back from you.

Nick