Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
63271161

Google images stopped working properly. I can tap on top row

Google images stopped working properly. I can tap on top row images and they open large with link to website underneath, but once Ive scrolled down an d tap an image the screen shows completely black, as if view is misalighed.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

Are you referring to images that load on Browser? Or photos uploaded to Google Picasa?

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm referring to images that load on the Google browser. (when I enter a search term, then click on images, and get the search result as a page full of little images). I can tap on the images that are immediately visible and they open large and with link underneath, but once I scroll down to see the images lower down, and then tap on one of them, the screen goes black, and I briefly see a grey narrow vertical line in the top right hand side of my tablet screen. Sometimes when I tap the 'refresh' icon the image will open, but more often it doesn't and it stays on the view with all images.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Wilma,

That means the cache for Google Browser needs to be cleared. Please do the following steps:

Open Google Browser. Press Menu button or tap the 3 dot (3 line for tablet) and select Settings. Tap Privacy under Advanced and tap Clear Browsing data. Tap Clear again when you selected clear cache, clear history, and clear cookies/site data.

When done, try to search again. See if images will open properly after this.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nick

I cleared cache, history and cookies, but images still don't open when I tap them after scrolling. They now do appear when I click the 'refresh (or reload)' icon, but not on first tap.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Wilma,

What is your device's make and model?

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a Samsung note 10.1, model GT-N8010, running Android version 4.1.2.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Wilma.

We will have to reset the Browser setings. This will clear all bookmarks. If you need to backup your bookmarks, go to Play Store and download Bookmarks Manger app. Use this app to backup your bookmarks. When done, you can use it again to restore bookmarks.

Please do the following steps:

1. Go to Settings or Settings->More
  2. Select Application Manager -> ALL (swipe to the right to select ALL)
  3. Select Chrome
  4. Select Force Stop and Clear data.
  5. Test your issue.

If you use the default Browser, do the following steps:

1. Go to Settings or Settings->More
  3. Select Web or Browser
  4. Select Force Stop and Clear data.
  5. Test your issue again.

Please let me know how that worked out. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I can't find Chrome or Web or Browser, only one I can see that might be it is Google Search. Should I force stop on this and clear data?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Please do that Wilma. Also, please press Power for 2-3 seconds and select Power off. Turn tablet back on and test again.

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

running out of time today. Will let you know later or tomorrow how I got on.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Wilma,

Please save this page to your Favorites or Bookmarks. Click on the saved link to come back.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nick,

I have cleared browser history and cookies, switched tablet off completely and switched back on. Issue still persists. It looks to me like it's to do with alignment of the page with all the images. I'll try to explain: when I've typed in a search and clicked on Images, I get to see the first three lines of images. I can click on any of these, a larger image opens (on black background) with white bar along the bottom showing a small image of the actual website and the website URL. When I scroll down a little bit, to see the 4th line and click on a picture on that line, the image opens, but it shows only half, it's falling off the page at the bottom and I don't see the line with the URL. The rest of the page shows the black background. If I now scroll much further down, to the 10th or 11th line with pictures, I can click on them but all I get to see is the black background. I can get to load that picture if I tap on the refresh/reload button, but this doesn't always work. It's also rather annoying, as I was able to click on any image and open it when I first got the tablet. Sorry this seems to drag on, I hope this gives you any other ideas for solutions?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much Wilma.

It does seem like a problem with Images. We can do another reset:

1. Go to Settings or Settings->More
  3. Select Media Storage and select Clear data.
  4. Select Google Services Framework and select Clear data.
  5. Press Power for 2-3 seconds and select Power off.
  6. Turn tablet back on and test the issue again.

If still not working, we will have backup your tablet first and then Factory Reset your tablet.

First you need to Backup your tablet to computer using Kies. Do not have Kies installed? Go to www.samsung.com/us/Kies and download Kies 2.6. After installed, open Kies. Connect your tablet to computer and do a FULL Backup.

Then Factory reset your phone as follows:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Backup & Reset
  3. Select Factory data reset
  4. Select Reset tablet
  5. Select Erase everything
  6. Your tablet will reset, which will take about 2-3 minutes.
  7. Set it up again.
  8. Download your apps back.

Now connect your tablet to computer and open Kies. Run a Restore. Select the Backup we did to reset your tablet. All data will be restored to your tablet .

Now test the issue again. It should work now.

Please let me know if you have any troubles or questions. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nick

I do not seem to have either Media Storage or Google Services Framework, so will go ahead with backup and factory reset and will let you know how I get on with it. Just as an aside, my son downloaded several games recently, this won't have anything to do with it by any chance?

Will be in touch again later.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.

Wilma,

Factory Reset will clear all the games progress. The games will be there. Your son has to start from scratch.

If you do not see Media Storage or Google Services Framework, you might not at the correct list. On top, if you see Downloaded, you have to swipe left to go right to All list. Or tap All on top. This list will have Browser or Web as well as Media Storage and Google Services Framework.

Please try this first before Factory Reset your tablet.

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Gotcha, found the list, no Browser or Web, but found Media Storage and Google Services Framework and cleared data for both. Also tried to clear cache, history and data again as all favorites and history switched off, and back on. Issue persists. (but I don't think I have cleared all data as my folders with bookmarks and favorites are still there?).

Settings has now stopped working properly: if I go to Application Manager, and swipe to get 'All', settings closes and I get an error message 'Unfortunately, Settings has stopped'. Tried several times, same error every time.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Wilma,

That means your tablet's software is corrupting. We will have to Factory Reset the tablet. Please backup and then Factory reset your tablet as I described before.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I install Kies on the tablet, on the PC, or both?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Wilma,

Please install Kies on your PC only. Run Kies and then connect your tablet to PC. Kies will show your Samsung Note 10.1 on the program. Then click on Backup and select Full backup.

When done running, disconnect your tablet and do Factory Reset. Settings->Backup & Reset->Factory data reset->Erase everything.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nick, sorry for the delay. It took a little while to get Kies sorted and the tablet backed up. Have done a Factory Reset, erased everything, and restarted the tablet, but issue persists!

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Wilma,

Please go to Play Store and search for Google Search. Install the update and try again.

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nick, progress! This is interesting: when I select Google Search from the apps page I get a different version of Google to the one I'm used to: XXXXX XXXXX my keyboard in the lower half of the page and shows a grey background at the top, with a bar in which I can enter a search term. (underneath it it lists recently used search terms). This version works with the images and clearly is the one I should be using. Is this the android version?

However, when I click on my Internet icon this opens a page with tabs and a blank search bar, and images of the eight most visited sites, when I enter a search term using the 'magnifying glass' to the right of the search bar, this opens Google the way it looks on my laptop, and then I still have the same issue with the images page.

Is there a way of changing my settings so I can use the tabs (I frequenly have more than one tab open), and then it opens the proper Google Search (for Android?) as described at the top?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Wilma,

Thanks so much for your update and reply.

The Google Search that you used is different app from the Internet icon search. The internet app is the Browser app. They behave differently.

For Google Search, it does not have multiple tabs. Just one screen. When you select an image or a link on the search result, it will then open with Internet Browser. Google Search app link with your Browser. It is for search only.

If you want to open different tabs, after opened one, go back to Home screen. Open Google Search app. Search for another topic or another link. Tap it to open. Browser will open another tab.

Please reply back if you have any questions. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nick,

thank you so much for all your help. It wasn't straightforward but we got there in the end.

Happy to now close this query and pay the agreed amount.

Many thanks, Wilma

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcomed Wilma.

Please rate my answer so I can get credit. Thank you!

Nick
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience: Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop