Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

How can I retrieve my data from a Sony Xperia Z1 when it wont

Customer Question

How can I retrieve my data from a Sony Xperia Z1 when it won't turn on?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Do you have a SD memory card inserted into the phone?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Richard my name'sXXXXX Mum and doing this on her behalf as she's getting so stressed out about it. No she doesn't have a memory card in the phone.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Without being able to turn on the phone, the data is not retrievable.

Nothing to do with data protection, it is just technically not.

So we focus on getting the phone working.

First, when you connect the charger, does the phone recognise this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I don't think so but I'm having to text her with questions because she's at work so I will check but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, connect the charger and hold the volume UP and Power button for 6 seconds, then release.

Tell me if it then starts please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok just asking her where phone is

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a bit difficult she hasn't got it back from Sony yet. Would I be able to contact you tomorrow or will I get someone else if I go to this site again?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You will get me, just reply here Danielle.

I have marked this question to never close, so no time limit on this.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for that, I have received excellent service but don't want to rate you now in case it closes the question and answer. Hopefully the phone will arrive tomorrow and we'll be in touch. Danielle usually gets home from work about 6pm so would it be ok for her to contact you approximately 6.00pm tomorrow?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX close the question, you can always post messages after rating. It just makes sure I am compensated, especially if you do not need to return tomorrow (I fear Sony will wipe the phone....)

She can contact me tomorrow at that time, that is no problem Danielle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sony have said they will wipe the phone but others have said the photos will be stored on an internal memory card and should be retrievable. Hopefully won't have to come back tomorrow but she's so upset and it's difficult to accept that Sony can't get the information. There are a lot of similar complaints about them on the net. Have rated you now.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Tell her, as soon as she gets a working phone again to install the free app

Dropbox

This will back up her photos online so she would never be in this situation again.

If I speak to her tomorrow, I will guide her through this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am Danielle, I have just seen this on my emails. I don't have the phone back yet but I have tried the volume up button etc. It literally won't do anything. I have taken it into a repair shop and they can't get any life out of it. Sony said their software department couldn't do it so their forensic team would have to take it apart which would cost £400. There is obviously a serious fault within the phone. If it is possible I guess the only way to get the pictures back would be to physically take the hard drive out. I'm stuck on what to do now
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You cannot do that, it is soldered onto the mainboard.

Only Sony could do this by running the board within their emulator Danielle. You cannot do this yourself.