Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

MLB At Bat App

I can't view live games (baseball) on the MLB At Bat App on my Samsung Tab 3 - although MLB says it is compatible, and it is supposedly an Android specific App. It may be a problem around not supporting Flash Player? I'm in UK if that matters. Message reads"We're sorry At Bat has stopped". Does this help? 

Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name isXXXXX can help you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The app is compatible with your tablet.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I was able to double check to make sure I could install and whether it would function on a Galaxy Tab and it was fine - no flash installed.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So it might be something else on your phone interfering.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Flash is no longer supported on Android, so it isn't likely to be involved.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is there are particular function that seems to cause the problem/

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Like entering credentials, or enabling notifications, etc?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you have done a great deal of troubleshooting with no results, I can tell you where will will probably end up, in case you don't mind doing it.... sometimes people will ask me why I didn't suggest it sooner...

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

A factory wipe of the device if all else fails.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But there are a few things you can do before that.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

First, uninstall the app.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then go into recovery mode by turning the tablet off, then pressing power and up volume at the same time.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This should bring you into a recovery screen with a text menu.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Use the volume keys to navigate to clear cache, and then use the power button to select.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then do the same to select "clear Dalvik Cache"

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Once it is done formatting the Dalvik Cache, reboot the phone and then install the app again.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not got time right now to work through your suggestions but I will either later tonight or tomorrow. The problem specifically is in viewing live games (or possibly more accurately video streaming as I probably won't be able to view archive material either) it fails to load and gives the At Bat has stopped message.

Customer:

Other aspects of the App work well enough - though not as well as on laptop or PC.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok. Clearing the caches may resolve the problem. Let me know either way and if it isn't fixed we can proceed with alternatives.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no further live games tonight, so I will not be able to check whether or not your prescription works until the next tranche of televised games late tomorrow afternoon. I'll be back in touch then. Thanks for your efforts so far.

You're welcome. Of you rate the answer now, it will keep the question with me rather than going into the Open question pool...that's up to you. You can contact me at your convenience.

Mike

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was not able to identify those cache options - at least not in those words - from the recovery menu. However, I have un and re-installed the App, so we'll see what happens now.I'd rather wait until we see if this works tomorrow (or rather later today!) before rating your help as I want to rate it excellent for a problem solved. Naturally, I can't do that yet!

That is strange... Maybe you didn't get in to the recovery menu. The recovery menu should just be a text menu that boots up I'm the top left corner of the screen... Just blue text. And that is where you can clear the caches from. It is not from within Android. You can only get there by starting the tablet while holding the volume up, or volume up and home.

But we will see if this works. If not, please try the recovery menu again to clear the caches. To factory wipe doesn't require the recovery menu, but I'm not going tpnask you to do that if it isn't necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is the menu I found. But the only references to caches were:

1. Wipe cache from partition

2. Apply update from cache

As I say we won't know until this evening whether or not re-installing has worked as we need to have a live feed to view. A complete wipe would be a real bind as I have facebook, internet , contacts etc all loaded up!

I'll contact you once I have tried this out. Thanks for all your help so far.

Ok. I'm not trying to rush you. Just mentioning things before I forget.

IF you end up doing a wipe, all that stuff will come back once you put your Google account info in again during setup. It reloads all your settings and apps, resyncs everything. For most it is little more of an inconvenience than a reboot. But there are exceptions, so we will see what the situation is after the game. Who is your team?

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I hear that on the wipe. I'm just never convinced that this will be a solution - and one doesn't know until after its been done! Sadly, the reinstallation made no difference. I try to load up live feed and then a message comes up saying "At Bat has stopped". Do we have any options remaining other than a wipe? And what reason should I have to be confident this will resolve the problem? I'm sorry this has become such a long drawn out process. My team by the way are the Phillies but I follow all the baseball games.

Dave

David, I cannot say for certain if a wipe will solve the problem, but if it doesn't, then I can say for certain that it is not possible to get the current version of the software to work on that phone with that version of Android.

Not to set your expectations too low, however, a wipe on an android phone solves many problems that cannot otherwise be diagnosed. Android is a very secure operating system so there are limits to what we can see in order to troubleshoot. But that also means that when you wipe a phone that, in terms of operating system, you are guaranteed that it will be exactly the same as it was when the operating system for that specific phone was released.

So, unlike Windows and other Operating Systems, a wipe on an android device removes ALL variables over which we have control. If that doesn't work, no amount of troubleshooting would have made it work. And since it is not likely to be a hardware issue (possible but rare), it points clearly to the developer of the software and their software not being compatible. That doesn't mean they will do something about it - it might work on every android device except your model with that version of android, but it does identify the source of the problem.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, it seems that I have to try a wipe or give up on the app.Many thanks for all your help, I don't think you could have done more. From what you say the wipe is not such a big deal on this device, so I think I'll go for it.

Cheers.

D

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
David... Not really a big deal. The only things you will lose are pictures and movie recordings you have done on the phone and don't have elsewhere. Everything else will come back with your Google account. Good luck!

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service. Thank you!

Mike
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt