Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a query about my mobile phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy

I have a query about my mobile phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Apollo, model GT-I5800. This is about 4 years old and I am aware the software / firmware is out of date (it is firmware 2.1 and build Éclair...). This has not been a problem till now as I very rarely use the phone and really only make voice calls on it (which are fine).

However, over the next 6 -12 months, I would like to be able to check my email on the phone. Currently this does not work (can't connect to email accounts) and the Samsung help desk advise this is because the software / firmware is out of date. I tried using Samsung Kies to upgrade my software but although the Kies software recognised my phone and recognised it was out of date, it could not install or upgrade my phone.

Is there any way I can upgrade my software / firmware ?
Or do I have to buy a new mobile phone ?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

If Kies wont do it, you will not be able to upgrade it.

But first, what is exactly the error you get when it fails to connect to the mail server? Does the phone have internet on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Richard

When trying to connect email on the phone - Applications, Email, input email name / password XXXXX POP3 account / port 995 (this is for a Hotmail account) - the error is "Set up could not finish, unable to open connection to server".

I also get the same error message when trying to set up a different email account (using btinternet.). Both accounts work fine on PC / Kindle, etc
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Download from the Google Play Store the free app

K9 Mail

Install this and run it and try to set up your hotmail account there.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded the K9 app and tried to set up my Hotmail account to it, using port 995 as before.

Did not work - the error message on K9 was "Set up could not finish. Cannot connect to server. (Unable to open connection to POP server)
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you change port 995 to 110 and leave SSL off.

Does it then connect?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Set it up with port 110 and no security - sadly, got the exact same error message
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, one last test.

From the Google Play Store, download the app

outlook.com

will this connect to your hotmail account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not looking good - I installed Outlook Mobile from the Android market but it does not seem to work - when launching the app on the phone, just a plain white screen with no input options.

I'm starting to feel I may have to buy a new phone just to get email to work !
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You do sorry, that was the last option.

I advise on the Samsung S4, it is the latest and you will be able to do all functions on a smartphone with this.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much for your help and all the various options we tried. Although it is annoying to have to buy a new phone just for this, I am also pleased to know that with your help, we have tried every possible way to make it work.