Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a now disused Sony Erricson W995. Everything including

Customer Question

I have a now disused Sony Erricson W995. Everything including the mobile number was transferred onto my new Samsung Galaxy 4 except for the photo's. as these were the most important things on my old phone, I am desperate to transfer them either to the new phone or my iPad. Can you help me please, or point me in the direction of someone who can?
Many thanks, Helen
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Do you still have access to the old phone Helen?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard, I'm glad that you think you can help me although I will warn you now, I am a complete dinosaur when it comes to anything technical. I would not take of fence, and actually, would appreciate it if you explained anything to me as if I were a child (although these days it seems most children are experts in this field).
In answer to your question, yes I do still have the old phone although it may take me an hour or so to retrieve it as it is now languishing behind all of my decorator's equipment and paint, including scaffolding and ladders.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all Helen!

We will copy the photos to your computer.

First, get the phone and the USB cable that came with the phone.

Connect the USB cable directly into the computer and phone.

On the phone, select the USB mode:

Mass storage to use your phone as a removable drive.

The computer will then detect the phone as a drive, and you can select to open it.

Then you will see a folder called DCIM. This is where the photos are.

You can then copy the photos from the phone to the computer (anywhere, eg: Desktop) just like any files you copy on the computer.

Once done, the photos are then available on your computer.

You cannot do this to the iPad, it has to be done to a computer.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The USB cable may take longer to locate. It will be in the house somewhere but I have decorating going on everywhere and so nothing is where it should be.
Is there a time limit to your help? Only I think I may have more luck in locating the cable after the decorators have left for the day but that won't be until late this afternoon. Then I will need time to look for the cable and I have no idea how long that may take. It will be more by chance and luck should I find the thing.
I hope this will be okay, I have never used this site before and although it may say, I am not one for reading small print even though I know that I should.
Thanks for your help so far Richard, it is much appreciated.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all Helen!

there is no time limit at all for this question, do a day/week/month later is no problem.

Once you have the cable, carefully follow my instructions I gave and you will get the photos off it, and onto the computer.

But, any issues whatsover at any time, just let me know here. No problem with this.

Happy decorating! and if you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh Richard believe it or not I am still hunting for the elusive USB cable, I could understand it if I lived in a mansion but I don't even live in a big house, just a normal 3 bed semi.
Still, I will keep looking but what can I do if it's not to be found?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I think its best Helen to order it from here

Click me to Open

It's less then 2 pounds, and you should get it within a day.

Let me know how it goes please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Richard.
I have taken your advice and have ordered a new cable from the link you gave and yes, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.
Can I leave your feedback before my quest is complete? Only you have been most helpful so far and I don't get the feeling that you would abandon me once the feedback had been sent.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Helen

Once the cable is in, we can do the transfer via the instructions I gave.

You are welcome to leave feedback and rate by clicking on one of the below faces whenever you wish, that wont change me working with you to the end of this :)

Let me know how it goes please.

Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Richard,
Incase you were wondering how I was getting on with retrieving the photo's from my old Sony Erricson mobile, well, I'm not!
The package containing the USB cable arrived the day after I had ordered it from the link you sent me. Due to other problems arising, mainly that of finding the decorators had painted the entire house in the wrong color, the package wasn't opened until the early hours of this morning.
Unfortunately the wrong cable has been sent, according to my husband, the reason for this is that I don't know what I am doing etc., and that I should have let him sort it in his own time as agreed.
I need now to find out from which company sent the cable via Amazon or do I contact Amazon direct and will they be operating on a weekend?
I realize that this isn't a technical problem as such but as it's still a part of the downloading of the photo's, I wondered if you would kindly help me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,
Could you please tell me the next step as per my last reply? I'm not sure what to do next. I am loathed to order another one as postage was more than 4x the price of the cable. Also, there is no guarantee that they will not send me the wrong one again.
Please help,
Helen
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi Helen

Sorry I was not online over the weekend.

It is disappointing they sent the wrong cable, but you are best to call Amazon on 0800 - 2796620

Explain they sent the wrong cable and they should then organise the correct one.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,
I have been trying the number you sent me for Amazon on and off all day but with no joy. Their lines are busy, they are sorry but I must try later. Am off out to take my dogs for a walk and will try again upon my return.
Please accept my apologies for trying to contact you over the weekend, I am the first to make a stand for keeping the weekend work free.
I won't need you to do anything yet as I am just keeping you updated. Possibly will need help contacting Amazon if I can't get through tonight.
However, I will let you know if that is the case. Thanks so far, Helen
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Helen,

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Richard I thought I had already sent this update.

Gave up with phoning and sent email instead. Response very quick from supplier who is sending a new cable with apologies, pronto!
Will let you know next installment of this gripping tale when the cable arrives.
Thanks again Richard and sorry about the update . . .maybe I dreamed the whole sending an email thing, it wouldn't be the first time.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
hahaha, no problem Helen!

I hope this time they send the correct one.

Let me know how you go and have a fantastic day!

Richard.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard, I managed to leave my iPad in a MarksSpencer food fridge yesterday (don't even ask) and have only just got it back. Am taking husband and daughter to airport tonight (they are off To Amsterdam for a few days). I am hoping that I will be able to find a quiet 5 minutes to have a look at the cable. I will keep you posted
Helen
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At last Richard......

All it took was five minutes peace, the information you provided and Hey Presto! I have my photo's all safe and sound and transferred from the old phone to a disc.

Thank you so very much, not only for your first rate, easy to follow instructions, but for being so patient too.

If you can send me another rating thing, I will gladly fill it in.

You have been a *STAR* and I would be most happy to recommend this service to anyone.

Kindest regards,
Helen