Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a Kobo Glo, it screen has frozen, it cant charge and

I have a Kobo Glo, it screen has frozen, it can't charge and the screen doesn't respond in any way. Can you help please?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Kobo and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kobo and tell me if it now functions correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I assume the on/off button is the one on the top of the Kobo - that is the only button I can see. This has no reaction at all, the screen is still frozen.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is Heather.

The one that would normally turn off the screen.

Hold it for a full 2 minutes, with the charger disconnected.

Does it then turn off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Richard, the screen is still frozen, it will not turn off

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Heather

It is the internal memory that has faulted.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to restart it. The fact that we cannot get it to even shuts down, confirms it is the memory that has faulted. Once the battery goes flat, it is not going to switch on again.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Kobo to have it replaced. It is a known problem, and is covered by the warranty, with the replacement performed at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard, I thought this might be a real problem. I will return it.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.

I am sorry about this, but the firmeware can crash at times, which my initial instructions would have gotten it to work again.

But your warranty will cover this.

If you need anything else, let me know please Heather

And please remember the rating by clicking one of the smiley faces below.