Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer&part of the CyanogenDev team
57442719

I have just been given my brother-in-laws Samsung Galaxy2 mobile

Customer Question

I have just been given my brother-in-laws Samsung Galaxy2 mobile phone. What do I have to do to enable to use my existing Orange sim card in this phone?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.

JoelK :

Hello. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

You need to remove the sim card from your existing phone and insert it into the new phone. If your brother-in-law was on a different network, it may not accept your sim card. If this happens, we need to unlock your phone. Please let me know what message you get when you install the sim card and turn on your phone.

Customer :

Sorry I do not really understand what you mean. Screen shows date ,time,contacts etc.All my contacts are listed and I can call them. However I can not receive a call directly, they all go to messages.l

JoelK :

Okay. Was your brother-in-law on the same cellphone network as you are?

Customer :

Think he was on Vodaphone.My SIM card isOrange.I

Customer :

I have received a text message from friend in Spain!

JoelK :

This is what you need to do:

JoelK :

Go to Settings - Wireless Networks - Mobile Networks - Network Operators. Your Samsung Galaxy 2 is acting like it may have Vodaphone selected. This would allow you to make calls, but, since you are not registered on the Vodaphone network, you would not be able to receive them.

JoelK :

When you select Network Operators, your phone will scan for available networks. Select Orange UK. This will log you onto the network where you are registered.

JoelK :

Check to see if you can receive calls, and let me know if this fixes your problem.

JoelK :

If I have solved your problem, I would appreciate a good or excellent rating. I only get compensated for my services when I receive a positive rating.

Customer :

Sorry Orange UK is not listed. I tried EE but that did not work. Listed net works are: EE, T- Mobile, O2-UK 3UK and vodaphone .j

Customer :

Still cannot receive calls!

Customer :

Have now managed to sort out all my problems myself!

JoelK :

You are still using a Vodaphone sim card. That is why you cannot see the Orange network or receive calls. You must get a new sim card from your Orange provider and

JoelK :

insert it into your phone. If you have any problems doing this, please get back in touch with me after you have done that.

JoelK :

Your original question refers to using your existing Orange sim card in your Galaxy S2, which you stated came from a Vodaphone network. At the beginning of this conversation, I said that you needed to take the Orange sim card out of the phone you had been using on the Orange network and insert it into your new smartphone.

JoelK :

You have not acknowledged that you did that. Have you removed the back cover from your Galaxy S2 and replaced the Vodaphone sim card with the Orange sim card?

Customer :

I inserted my Orange Sim card into the Galaxy phone immediately I received the phone! As I said in my last message I still was not able to receive calls but after a lot of time and effort I managed to sort out all my problems myself.

Customer :

I now do not require any help

JoelK :

I am glad that you got your problem solved.