Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a Kobo Touch - yesterday I bought a new book through

I have a Kobo Touch - yesterday I bought a new book through Kobo Desktop on my computer. It updated the reader by syncing it but when I looked in the e-reader, instead of having 19 books in it there is now only one. Have gone into Desktop and started the syncing again and although there was a message to say your books are on the e-reader they are not. I have tried both having the e-reader attached to the computer and not attached - which is correct? Also the e-reader itself seems to be completely different so can only think that this is it been upgraded. Your help would be appreciated.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Kobo and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and turn on the Kobo and tell me if the books are now there.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done what you said but no luck - when you said to connect the charger again and turn on Kobo it just tells me it is connected but I can't get in to check if the books are there without unplugging.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
So when you have it connected, that is when the problem is occurring correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

While the USB cable is attached to the computer it appears that I can't actually get into the e-reader without disconnecting.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
That is normal Irene, as it is locking the memory.

but when you disconnect, everything works fine correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is still only one book in the Library.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, then the firmware has become corrupted so we will need to reload this Irene.

It is going to remove all content and return the device to new, so you will need to reload the books again.

To do the reset.

Go to Menu > Settings > Advanced > Reset Device Now

Run this and when it has completed, set up the Kobo like you did when you first received it, synch your books and tell me please if they now appear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to be so stupid - where do I get Menu, etc - is it on the Kobo site?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It's ok!

You do this on the actual Kobo itself, while it is disconnected from the computer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hooray Richard - Kobo is now up and running with your help. Thanks for your perseverence.

As I do not want to subscribe to a monthly plan would you ensure that my bank details are removed from your system - I was led to believe that it was a one off payment.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is only a one off payment, nothing further Irene.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.