Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

why wont my samsung chat connect to my broadband (virginmedia

Customer Question

why won't my samsung chat connect to my broadband (virginmedia superhub)
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi! I am A. Stevens here to help with your question.

A. Stevens :

I see you are having a problem connecting your Samsung phone to your home wireless network?

Customer:

A. Stevens :

Would it be possible to do a factory reset of your phone?

Customer:

phone is new

A. Stevens :

Have you ever been able to connect to your network?

Customer:

not my network but can connect to a friends

A. Stevens :

What happens when you try to connect?

Customer:

tries for about a minute then says connection failed

A. Stevens :

Have you power cycled the phone?

A. Stevens :

Do you have any other wireless devices connected to the same network?

Customer:

yes this laptop also two other phones and two tablets

A. Stevens :

So you would need to do a network setting reset on the troublesome phone.

A. Stevens :

Thats the first step to resolve the issue since the problem is not with your wireless network.

Customer:

have done that this is the second phone both the same

A. Stevens :

When you enter the password ***** the phone

A. Stevens :

Does it ask you what type of security or anything?

Customer:

no just to put in password

A. Stevens :

Do you see anything in the Wifi for "Advanced Wifi Settings"

Customer:

no

A. Stevens :

OK..I'm sorry but at this point I will have to opt out of the question to allow another expert to try to assist.

A. Stevens :

You will not be charged for our time here.

A. Stevens :

Good luck with the issue!

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

To troubleshoot this problem with your mobile device, we must use your computer, because it can display the details of your wireless connection that are hidden on your phone.

Please tell me, so that I may give you detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot this problem, what operating system is running on your computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

win xp pro

Click on the Start button and go to your Control Panel. Select Network and Internet - View Network Status and Tasks. Find your wireless connection by Wi-Fi name and click on it. This should open a Wi-Fi Status window. Click on Wireless Properties. Select the Security tab. This will show the following:
Security Type: WPA2-Personal
Encryption Type: AES or PSK
Network Security Key:
Record this information and report the first two back to me. Check the Show Characters box and record your Network Security Key to be certain that it is exactly what you are using to connect your Samsung Chat. Select Cancel on each window that you have opened, because we do not want to change anything.
Please let me know if anything is different than the above and tell me whether your Encryption Type is AES or PSK. Then we will see if this configuration can adversely affect your Samsung Chat connection.
Thank you for your cooperation.
I am not sure if you have given me a negative rating or not. It shows on my question list, but not on the question itself.
I propose that you allow me to start a remote desktop support session, so that I can login to your router and make sure that the security method is compatible with your Samsung Chat.
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.