Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
63271161

Hello :) I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I1900 on the EE/Orange

Customer Question

Hello :)
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I1900 on the EE/Orange network in the UK which is now 3+ years old. I have always been very happy with it, and carried-on using it after getting an upgrade to a Sony Experia because I prefer the Samsung in every way.
Last night my phone put itself into flight-mode/no SIM card detected and will not allow me to switch flight-mode off.
I have tried using the on/off button to switch flight-mode off, tried using the 'Settings' menu to disable flight-mode, switched the phone off for ten minutes then back-on, and nothing works.
I have removed and cleaned the SIM card (which appears to have deep scratches across the contacts from sliding-across the raised contact-pins when mounting/unmounting the SIM, but appears to be intact.
The SIM card works perfectly in my Sony Experia.
Please can you offer any help? -I would rather continue using my Samsung because it's a great phone and all the accessories I have are Samsung accessories.
Thank you in advance... :)
Rog
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is Nick and I will help you today.

Please try this method.

Note: This reset will clear your sound and notification settings. You will have to reconfigure ringtones and notifications.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Applications ->Manage Applications or Application Manager
  3. Select All (Look for ALL on top menu or swipe left to go right to ALL)
  4. Select Media Storage and tap Clear Data.
  5. Go back to All and select Google Services Framework.
  6. Select Clear Data.
  7. Turn off (shut down) your device and turn it back on.
  8. Test your issue with flight mode again. See if you can turn it off.

Not working?

First you need to Backup your phone to computer using Kies. Do not have Kies installed? Go to www.samsung.com/us/Kies and download Kies 2.6. After installed, open Kies. Connect your phone to computer and do a FULL Backup.

Then Factory reset your phone as follows:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Backup & Reset
  3. Select Factory data reset
  4. Select Reset phone
  5. Select Erase everything
  6. Your phone will reset which will take about 2-3 minutes.
  7. Set it up again.
  8. Download your apps back.

Now connect your phone to computer and open Kies. Run a Restore. Select the Backup we did to reset your phone. All data will be restored to your phone.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply back to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Nick, thanks for your reply...

The first solution (clearing the Media Storage) sadly didn't work, so I've been trying to set-up Kies to back-up all my data before I try the Factory Reset option, but my laptop (a Sony Vaio) cannot establish a connection with my Galaxy S2: it keeps telling me that 'my device is not compatible' -I tried seven times last night without success, so now I'm going to try again and I'll let you know how I get-on, OK?

Rog
Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Rog,

I think you need to get Kies 2.6. The version you installed might be 3.0 or higher which does not work with your phone. Please uninstall Kies version that you installed.

Click here to save and install Kies 2.6.

Please let me know if that worked or not. Thank you!

Nick