A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  I've owned android devices and tablets for years and understand how the work.
71208907

Hi,I have a galaxy s2 and I've locked a large number of

Customer Question

I have a galaxy s2 and I've locked a large number of entries in the 'MEMO' files. I have unfortunately lost my pin and I cannot now unlock them. Can you advise?
Colm Carroll
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, can you explain what you mean by pin?

A. Stevens :

Do you mean the unlock code to get in to your S2?

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

no. There is an app on my phone which is called 'memo' which is just a standard memo type app with which I am sure you are familiar. You can open and keep multiple memos and there is a facility with which you can lock and unlock individual memos. When they are locked you can neither open nor transmit the memo and in order to do so you must supply a pin. Apparently there is one on the phone which is either automatically set up or which I set up when I first got the phone. I don't really know if this is the same as the one that gives you access to the phone, but I think it is specific to the app. I also don't know if the memos are recorded on the sim or in ram. I am particularly concerned that they may be in ram as then they will be lost if I reset the phone and I may not be able to use a standard unlocking service.

A. Stevens :

Yes, the memos will be stored in the phone memory, not your SIM.

A. Stevens :

So if you reset the phone, the memos will be lost.

A. Stevens :

Do you know what the memo passcode might be?

A. Stevens :

If you do not know the pin, unfortunately the only way to reset would be with a factory reset of the phone, Which then you would definitely lose your memos.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

no I've never heard of the memo passcode and I don't know where to find it. Is this the pin?

A. Stevens :

Could you maybe try, 0000

A. Stevens :

or 1234

A. Stevens :

If you never set it, those should be default.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

no I must have reset it.

A. Stevens :

You can try these steps to read a memo that's been locked:

A. Stevens :

1. Connect your phone to PC.
2. If you use Windows PC, open Windows explorer then navigate to your Phone drive.
3. Open Phone/Application/SMemo/cache folder.
4. Copy all files in this folder to your PC and then open these files using Windows Photo Viewer.
5. Now, you should be able to view your S Memo contents (either it's locked or not).

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

I dont know how to set up the wi-fi on windows. I use kies air to upload and download. File explorer appears in this list, but there does not seem to be any Phone/Application/SMemo/cache folder in it. when I download these memos they are in a .vnt format. I use a thing called fileviewer to extract the info (which is just standard text). It doesn't set up anything in windows explorer.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

By the way, one of the odd things about the way that the phone is setup is that the data for the files does not seem to appear in any of the folders in the file explorer on the phone. Does this use Polaris office which is installed and is this just a completely unrelated package. It seems odd that there should be no way to access data.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

When I got a new sim card the guy was able to force the data on the phone onto the sim or something, and when I got the phone back, all the old numbers were still there but I have no idea how it was done.

A. Stevens :

I see..that is very strange indeed.

A. Stevens :

Can you connect your phone to the computer directly with USB cable?

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

no There is a usb but it only charges the battery. I can't see that it does anything else.

A. Stevens :

If you connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable

A. Stevens :

there is also a data connection

A. Stevens :

Then you also would be able to browse the phone ram using Windows Explorer

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

ok that was good. I didn't realise that it was possible to connect through windows explorer. I've got it now and I've downloaded all the files. There doesn't seem to be any obvious candidate for the correct folder but they must be in there somewhere. I don't have time to look now, but I can gain access to the content of the text files as long as they are there, and not encrypted. I'll get back to you tomorrow and let you know how I got on. Thanks for the hint.

A. Stevens :

Great! Please do let me know.

A. Stevens :

I hope I was able to help you today.
If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback with the smiley faces below would be greatly appreciated.
If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here.
Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

Hi, Sorry for the delay in getting back. I've been very busy.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

We are not yet quite out of the woods. I've downloaded all the files and deleted all the empty folders and 'obviously not candidates' files.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

However I am still left with a large number of files which may be the required objects. There doesn't seem to be any obvious identification that explicitly tells me which is which. The more cryptic aspect is that I have looked at all the files with 'fileviewer' (a simple file reader that reads the file as ascii) and there are none that seem to contain any text. This means that it could be anything, even a large file which appears to be random code could be it, as all the memos could be contained in a single file for the purposes of storage.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

It would help enormously if you could tell me which file extensions are associated with 'memo' (the memo package is called exactly that) files on the drive. When they are downloaded with gmail they appear on the target as .vnt files, but they are not stored that way on the phone. It would also help if you could let me know if the encryption is trivial or difficult, and if there is some way that they can be de-encrypted (,a

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

(maybe using a samsung app). The phone is a Galaxy GT-I9100. Ta.

JACUSTOMER-4pmddxf2- :

Colm