A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  I've owned android devices and tablets for years and understand how the work.
71208907

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and thought I had not received some

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and thought I had not received some texts that had been definitely sent to me.
Weeks later I discovered that they were stored in my SIM (approx 4 messages) when they should have been in my phone memory. I had no warning message to say that this happened.
Can I prevent this from happening or at least set up a warning when it happens?
Hylton Thompson
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 3 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!

A. Stevens :

This may have occured because the phone did not have a cellular connection or was off when the texts were received, and so it was stored to the SIM.

A. Stevens :

This typically does not happen.. I think it was a glitch in the system.

A. Stevens :

Unfortunately no way to turn on a specific alert for sms on SIM...

A. Stevens :

It's also possible maybe someone manually copied the message to your SIM on accident?

Customer:

Thanks for the speedy response.

Customer:

You are effectively saying that, with the Note 2, I have to look at both the phone's inbox and the SIM to be absolutely certain of receiving all incoming messages. Furthermore there is nothing I can do to change this absurd situation?

Customer:

I am sure you are right because I am fairly competent myself and was coming to the same conclusion. If it was a glitch then it happened on 3 different occasions. I am the only one who uses the phone and I definitely didn't move the messages to the SIM. They were all important messages and had never been seen.

Customer:

Is this a general Android problem? (I have the latest upgrade) Does it happen only on Samsung devices? I was thinking of changing to a Galaxy S5 or S6 but your answer could sway me to an iPhone 5.

Customer:

Many thanks, ***** ***** looking to give you an excellent rating on this more complete answer.

A. Stevens :

Yes, unfortunately I believe there isn't a better answer but I don't think there is anything you can do as far as the phone software goes. I haven't seen this very commonly on Android...but I know for certain there isn't even an option to save SMS to the SIM on iPhone. Maybe one thing to possibly try is to get a new SIM card from your carrier. I've seen defective SIMs do some strange things before. The phone should definitely never be saving any SMS to the SIM unless you specify it to. Another thing, when was the last time you restored your phone to it's default settings?

A. Stevens :

A factory reset could possibly resolve..but since you said you do have the latest version of Android I'm sure that you probably have restored fairly recently.

A. Stevens :

Another thing to possibly think about - I've seen this across different phones; even iPhone as well

A. Stevens :

Depending on how you are managing your backup and restores, you could be having a software issue due to restoring a device with different hardware. Although it should be compatible cross hardware I've definitely seen and had this confirmed that the software was glitching/crashing because it was trying to read some bad data from an older OS or device.

A. Stevens :

So dependent on how you are doing your restore, maybe try to factory reset to a clean imaged OS, and rebuild your phone without restoring a full backup.

Customer:

Thank you for your very helpful comments.