Ashik
Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

Have just received Samsung Galaxy S4. Sticker says European

Customer Question

Have just received Samsung Galaxy S4. Sticker says European model will this not take a sim card in Egypt? Has been bought for a present.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What is the exact model number of your S4 ? Goto Settings > More > About Device.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You can also find the model number on the box. Is it i9500 or i9505 ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GT 19505

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Dianne, I have read that the newer models of S4 have region lock on them. It will not work on other countries' network unless you activate it first from the country you purchased it.

So before sending it, you have to put a SIM card of the country you purchased it from and use it for atleast 10 minutes. By use it, I mean make and receive calls, total of 10 minutes atleast. This will remove the region lock on it and then it will work on all GSM networks in Egypt.

Sending it without using it for 10 minutes (call time) from the country you purchased it probably will not allow the person to his/her SIM card on it.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Ashik
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I can put my sim card in this new phone....use it for at least 10 minutes here in UK then it will be ok to put Egyptian sim card in when it arrives there?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Yes, as per Samsung that will unlock the region lock. This is a security measure put by Samsung to limit grey imports.

You must activate the phone with your SIM (in Europe) and make/receive calls for 10 minutes. This will remove the region lock and then the phone can be used with any GSM network in any country.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Delighted with service received and so quickly thank you do much can now take to Egypt with confidence

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You're most welcome :)