Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Sim Free /

Customer Question

I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Sim Free / Unlocked Android Smartphone- 32GB and want to use a giffgaff PAYG micro-SIM in it. The phone does not offer giffgaff as a recognised network and I have tried it on O2 settings but cannot get it to connect. I am, at home, in an area with no signal but should be able to connect via Broadband (wifi). No joy there either. Please help me set up my phone!
Tel. 01953 850895
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

Have you activated your giffgaff sim card yet?

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I think so, as I received this:

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Welcome Teresa. Nice to have you with us.

We've included a few tips and important account information below to help you get you started.

Member name: tjrickwood
Phone number: *********** /p>

If you need help at any stage, head to our Community, our helpful members are available 24/7 to answer your questions - just ask.

Cheers,

The giffgaff team

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Not sure but I think so. I have had a hello from giffgaff: As I cannot get it recognised

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Member name: tjrickwood
Phone number: *********** /p>

Cheers,

The giffgaff team

JoelK :

Did you enter the 6-digit code on your sim card, using the following procedure? Click on this link to see or use the procedure:

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Yes, I remember doing that. I no longer have that number as it was on the larger part (discarded now as this phone takes a micro-SIM).

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Can you help me use it via my Broadband (wi-fi) as well as when I am in an area with a mobile/cell-phone signal? Please!

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Hi again.

JoelK :

Hi. I am researching your problem now. Please standby...

JoelK :

I am not sure if you have activated your sim card correctly. The procedure that I sent you requires that you purchase an activation with a credit card. Did you do that? If not, you can do it again, even if you have discarded the plastic holder for the micro sim card. You can use the 19-digit serial number on the micro sim card. If you have a nano sim card, you can use the prefix 894411 followed by the 11-digit S/N.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I shall get out the micro SIM and see what it has on it. Hold on.....

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I have that 19 digit number and shall try the above link. Stay online, please...

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

It wants the original 6 digit code and will not accept the actual 19 digit on., I'm pretty sure I paid something small just to start it up already.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

HAH! Just checked my giffgaff account and fed it some cash - it was reporting empty so I can't have finished putting money into it. What shall I do now? Put back the SIM card and battery and see if I can make a call?

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I did that, and now I suppose I need to tell my phone what my account is.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I have credit on this service, but the phone reads, 'Not registered on network'.

JoelK :

That is progress of a sort. At least we now have the problem diagnosed correctly.

JoelK :

My information says that if your phone will not accept your code, you should contact a giffgaff agent.

JoelK :

Did you go to where you have a signal when you tried to make a call?

JoelK :

There should not be a network compatibility problem. Giffgaff uses parts of the O2 network to provide mobile service-- i.e., they use the same technology.

JoelK :

We can go through the procedure to connect to your wifi network. Do you have the network name (SSID) and encryption key (passcode)?

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

No, I did not go out half a mile to make a call on the network. Sorry, I do not know the SSID and encryption key.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I am also having difficulty establishing my Samsung account as I keep having an email sent sent to verify it and nothing arrives in my gmail (and yes, I have searched in spam and trash as well as primary, updates and promotions....).

JoelK :

What is your computer operating system? I can tell you how to find your wifi network parameters.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Windows 7. Thanks. A bit of progress here, maybe. I have found a connections screen for mobile network operators, chose O2 and it's trying to register but says 'unavailable', so I could try when I go out tomorrow or you might suggest how to do via wifi. maybe?

JoelK :

You can do that when you go out tomorrow. It sounds like it is going to work now.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

OK, will do. Shall I be able to get back to you?

JoelK :

We are going to connect your wifi now, if you are still available. I have to break for a meeting for about a half hour, but we can get started.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I am connected to my BT Homehub currently.

JoelK :

In Windows 7 go to your Control Panel - Network and Internet - View Device Status and Tasks.

JoelK :

You will see an item called Connections, which shows your WiFi network name. Click on that name link, and this will open a WiFi Status dialog box.

JoelK :

Click on the Wireless Properties button, which will open a Wireless Network Properties dialog box. Select the Security tab and you will see the field for your Wireless Security Key. Check the Show Characters box and you will see the passcode (password).

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I could only find a Network and Sharing Centre which has my homehub on it and other headings

JoelK :

Record the network name and password ***** use in connecting your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 mobile device.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

OK - you need to go, I know. I shall need more time, then shall follow your instructions if you would kindly finish details here. Thanks again.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

I have already entered the homehub (router name and password ***** the Galaxy and it is live and working. I can access gmail on it etc.

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

Shall I save on this page and exit, and will this leave it open to resume at your convenience? What do you want me to do?

JoelK :

+

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

What do you mean by '+'?

JoelK :

Sorry. My meeting started suddenly, and I could not respond.

JoelK :

My meeting is over now, and we can continue. You said at the outset that you could not connect to your wireless network. That is what I was leading up to. If it is already working, then we only have the cellular network to connect, which you will do when you go out.

JoelK :

If you are satisfied with my information and advice, please be sure to give me a Good or Excellent rating. If you are still having problems, please let me know. If you have any more questions, of if there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service.

I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

JACUSTOMER-rxnxbf6v- :

That's fine. Thank you, ***** ***** have a smile and you helped me so you get one too! Goodbye. Ending session.

Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.

Teresa,

THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD SERVICE RATING. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Have a great night,

Dear Teresa,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GENEROUS BONUS. YOU HAVE REALLY MADE MY DAY!
Teresa-
It has been a pleasure working with you. If there is anything else I can do to assist you with your smartphone, computer, or printer, please let me know. You can ask for me by name. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.
-Joel