Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

My wife's Samsung S 3 has gone dead, she used it at work and

Customer Question

My wife's Samsung S 3 has gone dead, she used it at work and it was fine. When she arrived home she found that the screen was blank. We have tried to recharge, a new battery but its completely dead.
There are lots of photo's on the phone that cannot be replaced. Is there an way we can get the phone repaired/back on without losing any of the data.
Hope you can help.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

Joel,

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

Sorry it stated that you were still typing, I hope you can help us

JoelK :

The problem is not with your wife's phone or battery. It is either with the charger or the usb cable. If you have a spare of either of those, it would be helpful to try them. If not, you can purchase a new charger and cable. They are the most likely components to fail.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

My wife has used our charger, her sisters charger and a charger in the mobile phone shop.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

I have just put a usb cable into the computer now and connected to the phone a different one to the previous charger.

JoelK :

With different charger cables too, I presume?

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

yes

JoelK :

The usb port on your computer does a slow charge which is sometimes the best way to fix a deep discharged battery. However, not all usb ports on a laptop have power on them.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

We have just got a new charger out, just plugging it in now. That's four we will have tried.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

Its not doing anything, we tried the battery from my Samsung which was charged and is the same phone.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

Going to try my battery again plugged into the charger

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

sorry mines an s4 so a different battery

JoelK :

You said that you got a new S3 battery. They come with a half charge on them. Also, be careful about interchanging chargers between an S3 and an S4. The S4 uses a 2A (amp) charger and the S3 may use only a 1A charger. You can tell by reading the fine print on the charger. Please let me know the amperage of the S3 charger, because I am not sure about that.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

Joel,

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

My wife tried her sisters s3 battery which was exactly the same model of phone etc.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

My s4 was totally different so didn't even attempt to fit it.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

We have tried four different charges and another battery from the same model of phone.

JoelK :

You are not getting what I am saying. You may have damaged the S3 battery by using the S4 charger.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

Thanks I know what you mean now, we even changed the battery using another s3 battery that was fully charged but it still did not work

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

the phone was also charged and working fine, my wife used it on Wed afternoon and when she got home it was off, she did not drop or damage it

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

we can't understand why iy would just go off and not work

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

just plugged the same charger through usb into my old Samsung ace phone and it said charging on the phone so the charger works through usb

JoelK :

Okay. That is good troubleshooting.

JoelK :

Remove the battery from the phone and press and hold the power button for one minute. Leave the battery out for five minutes. Then replace the good battery and try the phone to see if it is responsive.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

Sorry we don't have the good battery with us my sister in law lives eight miles away.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

I will try it anyway

JoelK :

How many amps is your charger??

JoelK :

While you are waiting for the 5 minutes, please read the label on the charger and tell me how many amps it is. It will say Output: 5V @ 1A or 5V @ 2A.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

On the one we have on the usb it does not say we are looking at the other charger now

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

5v on one of the chargers

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

it says 3.8 v on the battery

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

still no power

JoelK :

I was asking about the amps, not the volts. It is okay though. I looked it up on the internet. The charger cannot damage the battery, because the phone limits the current.

JoelK :

How about doing this. With the battery in the phone and the phone connected to the good usb cable and charger, hold the power button and the volume down rocker button simultaneously.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

nothing happening, also tried this before

JoelK :

I have not been able to give you any advice that will solve your problem. You probably need to take your phone to a repair shop where they can troubleshoot at the parts level. If your main circuit board has failed, you will probably lose your data, and you will just have to get a new phone.

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

okay that's a shame i will take it in tomorrow and try

JACUSTOMER-rdi72k32- :

thanks for trying

Steve,
THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD SERVICE RATING. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
I am sorry that there was nothing I could do to fix your wife's phone. I read an article on the internet that said that the phone can fail from overuse if it gets too hot. That may be what has happened.
It may be time for a new phone, and you just have to let go of the photos. If you had your contacts synced with your email you may be able to restore them onto a new phone.
If you had backed up your phone using Samsung Kies before it failed, you could restore it that way. Otherwise, you will just have to deal with the loss of data.
Best of luck to you both
Steve -
I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service, and I am sorry that I was unable to assist you in finding the best solution to your technical problem.
If any problems arise in the future where I can be of assistance, please return to Just Answer and ask for me by name. Thank you.
- Joel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

You're welcome.