Ashik
Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

I have a galaxy note 3 that has been infected by the porncheck

Customer Question

I have a galaxy note 3 that has been infected by the porncheck ranson malware. I have started the phone in safe mode but I cannot locate the virus to delete it. how do I find it and delete it?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

In Safe Mode, open Play Store application and install the avast! Ransomware Removal application : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.malwareremoval

Then run it to remove the malware. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It did not work the phone is still locked

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to install and open avast! Ransomware removal tool ? Also, which application is affected by the malware ? Browser/Internet, Chrome or your entire note ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. I installed the program and scan the phone it showed no infections. The internet is locked on my phone and just displays the "Ransom note" and I can't navigate away from it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It seems like the entire phone is affected by the malware. In this situation, the best option is to factory reset your Note to remove the malware completely, but that will erase everything from it. You can redownload all the past purchases for free using the same Google account you used to purchase them. You can restore the contents (like Contacts, calendars etc) back to it if you've synced with Google.

What do you think ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doesn't like I like I have a choice. Ok.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
There are two types of malwares, one that affects your entire phone and one which only affect the browser. If it is the former, then factory resetting the phone is the best option as it will completely get rid of it from your Note.

Follow the steps below to factory reset it.

1. Turn it off.
  2. Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
  3. You will see some recovery menu options, release the buttons.
  4. Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home or Power button)
  5. Select Yes — delete data.
  6. Finally, select Reboot system now.

This will factory reset your Note. Then you can setup it agian.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

First, how do I sync (my contacts, calendars, etc.) with google?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Backup all your stuffs to your PC using Samsung Kies application : http://www.samsung.com/in/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

To setup Sync, goto Settings > Accounts section, select your Google account and you can setup sync from there.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Ashik