Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

my Samsung galaxy note 10.1 gt-n8010 has just updated latest

my Samsung galaxy note 10.1 gt-n8010 has just updated latest software
4.4.2
it has now deleted many functions that it used to have. e.g bottom of screen I used to be able to pull up many items, one of which was a calculator. which I used frequently.
I use the papyrus app. to do quotes on at customers house. then I pull up the calculator to price job. which I could float about anywhere on screen I wanted. this has now been deleted reason. if I had the air command as on the latest version. this wouldn't matter as it has a calculator within that. which I can float about.
any suggestions please.
this may be a big ask. Samsung technical don't know anything
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you download the app AirCalc which you can see here
Click me to view
This is a calculator that can float around on the screen.
Let me know please if this is what you require.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already tried this before you replied. the trouble with this is you have to remember to open this before you open other apps.

as mentioned I use papyrus everyday quotes.

I write measurements of rooms down. then I used to drag up from bottom of screen a series of apps that you can use on top of existing one you are using. so if I want to do another calculation after giving customer a quote. I have to close papyrus down again.to open up the air calc.

I cant understand how Samsung have done this. it would be okay if the air command was available on this model. as it is on the 2014 model.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I believe it was due to a licence dispute that they did this.
But when you want to switch between apps, instead of closing papyrus, hold the home button down and it brings up the open apps (you need to of opened the calculator first).
Then you can switch to the calculator without having to close Papyrus.
Let me know how you go please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

holding the home button down brings up google now.

think it is google now. has bar at top with microphone on right. with weather box. places nearby etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then your firmware does not have it. Do it this way
Go to Settings>Multi Window
Then tap the Off button in the upper right corner to turn the feature on.
Then Long press the back button located on the right side of the bottom bezel of the phone. The Multi Window mode tray will appear on the right side of the screen.
Tap and hold an app icon and drag it from the tray to the middle of the screen. Now choose another app and tap and drag it to either the top or bottom of the screen. Each app should now be running concurrently on the phone.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cant find multi window in settings. can only find it by dragging down top. which reveals multi window. which I have already turned on.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, now press and hold the back button and tell me if your seeing the apps appear on the right so you can switch between them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it always has done. but multi window isn't available on that pull out. I have already known about this facility. just by pulling out from right hand side. you don't need to long press on back button.

and multi window isn't available through edit of these.

I wonder if you have full realisation of the pre 2014 edition. following the update.

I wish I had never updated. it is far worse, and has lost many good features. with from what I can see so far. has no better features.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It changes per regions and firmware David,
But in all versions I have used and supported, Multitasking via the multiwindows has been available.
But the options we have now gone though are all that is available to you sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

multitasking is available. but only the items which are on that window.

papyrus isn't there or calculator. so the question I have been asking all along hasn't been answered.

so the answer you have given me to use multiwindow isn't the correct answer.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Then the app is not compatible with Multitasking David, this is why it is not appearing.
Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

doesn't look like you have an answer .

thanks . but I already new papyrus wasn't available on multitasking.

also cant accept that it was due to licensing with Samsung, as on your previous comment. to have a calculator on there multiwindow options.

cant possibly be due to licensing.

looks like I will have to buy the 2014 edition with the air command.

if I was prepared to root my tablet. then I believe I could have the air command. but I don't want to go down that road

once again thanks to solve my problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome David