A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  I've owned android devices and tablets for years and understand how the work.
71208907

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I am unable to transfer data (photos)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I am unable to transfer data (photos) from the phone to my computer. Have connected via USB cable and whilst the phone registers in the File Manager as "Samsung GT - P7310P7510/N7000/19100/Galaxy Tab 7.7/10.1/S2/Nexus/Note" there is nothing more.
There was a message on the phone that certain software packages should be installed on the computer and it named the ones for 'MS Windows' and 'MAC' but I do not use either. I am on Linux, openSUSE 12.2. If there are packages for my OS do you know what they are called please, or can you assist in any other respect. Thank you
Christopher Huggins
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!

A. Stevens :

Hi Chris - Let me located a suitable driver for your S5 for Linux.

A. Stevens :

You can follow this guide...it's written for an S2, but same concept. Android platform.

A. Stevens :

http://cromwell-intl.com/technical/samsung-galaxy-s2/linux.html

A. Stevens :

Another option that might be simpler would be to get a MicroSD card and transfer your photos there first. Then connect the card to your computer via a card reader and copy the photos.

A. Stevens :

I hope I was able to help you today.
If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback with the smiley faces below would be greatly appreciated.
If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here.
Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!

Customer:

Many thanks. I looked at the sites mentioned but decided that the process was beyond me so I shall go for the MicroSD card option.