Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I cannot get my Samsung Galaxy S4 to connect to wifi it keeps

Customer Question

I cannot get my Samsung Galaxy S4 to connect to wifi it keeps asking me for identity and password. I simply don't know what it means where do I get this password ***** identity it keeps on about? I'm a bt broadband customer and have down loaded the app but it tells me my wifi is not connected ?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can solve your problem. Are you operating your computer on this wireless (wifi) network? What is your computer operating system (pc or mac)?

JoelK :

I do not know what app you are referring to in your question, but you should not attempt to download it until you are connected to your wifi network, which I can best help you with by connecting to your computer remotely.

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

Sorry I cannot agree to you connecting to my computer. It is my phone I cannot get to connect to BT WiFi. there is nothing wrong with the computer. The app is a BT app for WiFi for Android mobiles it is I know perfectly safe. I have it on my mobile already but it keeps telling me to check that my wifi is turned on the wifi icon at the top of the phone has a ? on it. The wifi singnal is strong but I cannot turn the wifi on this is my problem.

JoelK :

I understand that the problem is with your phone, but we can use your computer to retrieve the wifi password. If you prefer not to allow me to connect, I can give you detailed directions on how to do this. Do you have a pc or a mac?

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

I have pc

JoelK :

Okay, good. Can you open the Control Panel on your windows computer?

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

yes shall I do this now

JoelK :

Then go to Network and Internet > View Network Status and Tasks

JoelK :

Yes, I did not realize that was a question.

JoelK :

Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > View Network Status and Tasks.

JoelK :

Please let me know when you are there.

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

I don't have Network and internet sharing options?

JoelK :

What is your operating system?

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

If it is any help on my modem I have a little pull out that says Home Hub 3.0 settings it gives me wireless /SSlD the wireless Key the wireless WPS PIN and the admin Password. I have tried all of these numbers but still it will not turn on. I have windows 7 and I'm with BT Broadband

JoelK :

Does your Windows Control Panel have the old style display of a large number of icons? If so, you should be able to find Network and Sharing Center.

JoelK :

I want you to display that window, so that we can compare the WiFi Connection with the SSID on the bottom of your modem.

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

Yes it does I have Network and sharing center.

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

ok

JoelK :

Great. Do you see the item Connection:?

JoelK :

What does it say in parenthesis after Wifi?

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

it says set up a new connection or network is that the one?

JoelK :

No. It is in the section above that, on the right hand side.

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

Sorry can't seem to find that

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

Oh does it say connection or unconnection is that it

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

I have it now I opened it

JoelK :

I think you are in the correct window. It should say "View your basic network and connections" at the top. Then it says :View your active networks" and lists your Private Network in the section below on the left To the right of that it lists the following:

Access Type:
HomeGroup:

JoelK :

Connections:

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

Yes it does now what?

JoelK :

What is listed after Connections: Wifi (in parentheses)?

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

My page isn't anything like that

JoelK :

We aren't getting anywhere with this. That is why I wanted to connect remotely. I sent you a screen shot of my window. Can you send me one of yours? If not, let's try something else.

JACUSTOMER-ee0yf157- :

I will have to go now I have to be up very early in the morning and it's getting late. Thank you for your help you have been so good and patient. Perhaps I could contact you again. Many thanks.

Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.

THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD SERVICE RATING. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

You can definitely contact me again. When you login to Just Answer, you can ask for me by name.

What you can do on your own is to verify that you can see the network name on your phone under Settings > Wifi > Wifi Networks that is listed as the SSID on the label on the bottom of your modem.

You need to be able to select that. Then you need to enter the Wireless Key that is listed on the label.

This network key may not work, if you used the Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) to connect your computer to your wifi network. (This involved pushing a button on your modem and entering a PIN.)

If you still need help, I can solve your problem easily with a remote desktop support session. It is guaranteed to be safe, you can observe what I do, and you can terminate the session at any time.

Dear Customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Please let me know,
Joel