Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

, I have tried to go ahead and update my Samsung Galaxy

I have tried to go ahead and update my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F, but it keeps giving me the message " the operating system on your device has been modified in an unauthorised way. Try Downloading software updates using Samsung Kies on your PC or visit a customer service centre".
I only have the phone a couple of months and have not changed any settings on it, so I dont know why it wont update automatically.
I am currently on android version 4.4.2.
Can you help me update the software on my phone please?
Thank you and Kind Regards,
Jean
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If you have not side installed the firmware then it is likely it is corrupted and I want to start with a reinstall of the firmware.
To do this, we need to do a factory reset of the Phone, which will remove all data so first, is there data you need to backup on the phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your answer, yes there is data that I need to back up on the phone, I will go ahead and do that now.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** via Kies.
Then reset the phone back to Factory Settings
From your home screen press the Apps icon in the lower right corner.
Find and press the Settings icon.
Scroll down to the users and backup section and press the Backup and reset icon.
At the bottom of the next screen press where it says Factory data reset.
Hit the Reset device to complete the process.
Then once done, try to update the device BEFORE restoring your backup
Then restore your backup files.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I have done the reset and it is giving me the same message when I try to update

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then it means that your provider or whoever has provided you the phone has modified the firmware and the image stored on it Jean. This we cannot undo as we have just attempted this.
The only solution now is to contact the person or company you received the phone from and have them replace it in order to get the update to work sorry.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard, is there any way of putting new firmware on the phone?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, as you will have this exactly same problem Jean plus the risk of bricking the phone (making it unusable)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks Richard