Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Trying to update a Lenovo a3000 tablet running Jellybean to

Trying to update a Lenovo a3000 tablet running Jellybean to KitKat , update starts loading but then keps failing after loading about 20%. What can I do to get it to complete?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Exactly how did you root the Tablet?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard, I used instructions from this link http://rootinghub.com/root-lenovo-ideatab-a3000/. If you have a look there I think that's easier than me trying to explain it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks David, and yes that was best.
Its likely you cant update it now, as it modified the file structure and the update is not finding the files it needs, and so cancels the update as to not brick the phone
We have one option here which is a factory reset.
This can undo the root and allow you to update again.
It will remove all data from the tablet though so before we do this, is there anything you need to save on the Tablet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing I need to save so am happy to do factory reset. I thought i had to root it to do the update

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
where exactly are you getting the update from? As you would not need to root it to get an over the air update installed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lenovo don't supply an over the air update so I got a rom from xda developers site which other people seem to have installed no problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, give me the link for the update please that you got.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

here you go http://forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-a3000/orig-development/rom-cyanogenmod-11-0-t2954370

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Then we attempt the update on a clean install, so we do the factory reset.
To do this, please follow the instructions on the link below
http://www.hard-reset.com/lenovo-ideapad-a3000-hard-reset.html
then once its resetted, attempt to install the update (it should still be rooted).
Let me know the results please David
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

done the hard reset but update stops at the same place. I thought it might be the rom , I had another one before getting the XDA one but can't remember the link for that one. Both stop at the exact same point. Guess it just can't be updated then.rally just wanted Kitkat to be able to cast the screen to chromecast easily

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
you want to put the screen on a tv David?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, from andoid 4.4 onwards the chromecast app allows thiis but not on Jellybean

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, but there are other possibilities that you may be able to use.
Whats the make and model of the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a LG flatscreen , not sure on the exact model but had it about 6 years.Does not have wireless built in which is why I got a chromecast , tablet casts well for apps with chromecast support but have amazon prime video which doesn't and wanted the ability to cast screen for that

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, do you have the possibility to connect a computer to the TV and display this way as you can then send the Tablets screen to the computer and have that show on the TV.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard , I think I'll need to do that , I can connect a computer but was hoping to be able to have a simple wireless option. Guess will have to wait until Amazon build in chromecast support, don't really want to buy more hardware as works great for everything else. Thanks for your help.