Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Richard. I'm Tania. I've just updated the firmware on my

HI Richard. I'm Tania. I've just updated the firmware on my Galaxy S4 and all (at least most of) my photos have switched to an icon instead of the photo. I can't work out why or how to restore them. When I attach to my laptop and try to view it says the photo viewer doesn't support this file format - except they're all j-pegs and some of them are showing up??
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question Tania, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What happens when you press on a photo on the phone itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing - instead of the photo image, there is an icon of a person with a small flash symbol.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
OK, Go to the app My Files
Then navigate to your photos folder (usually DCIM) and then press on a photo there.
What then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Same thing - some photos images are showing and some are showing as an icon.

They were all there this morning and then this happened immediately after the firmware update.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you do the following please
Turn off phone
Remove the battery and reinsert.
Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys
Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.
As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.
Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.
Press the Power button to select it.
Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.
Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.
Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.
Wait for your phone to reboot.
Then try to open the photos.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did that - no change I'm afraid.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Try to now view them from the computer
Same problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep - same problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, when you connect the phone to the computer, what drive letter is it given?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Umm - sorry not sure what you mean. When I connect it to my laptop, it just lists it as 'Tania Mob'. Some of the photos are there and some of them have been turned into icons. This is true regardless of whether they are stored on the phone camera or the memory card. Although one batch of over 300 photos stored on the memory card have ALL changed to this icon. Some of the photos that ARE visible on the phone (stored on the phone camera) are not able to be viewed on the laptop (says file type not supported)

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Click start, computer then you will see the phone listed on the left.
It will have a drive letter next to it.
Tell me what that letter is please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - in Windows 8 under File Manager/This PC it lists the phone as being connected under Devices and Drivers but no letter anywhere??

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You need to go to the file explorer and you will see it there.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - under File Explorer, there is no letter next to Tania Mob, nor any of the others listed under This PC such as Documents, Downloads etc. Although for those, the location listed when I click Properties is C:\ but for Tania Mob, there is no letter under Properties - just a list of the details of the phone itself.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, do you have Kies installed on the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, connect the phone to the computer and open Kies.
Let it import the photos and tell me please if it can then open them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Exactly the same deal - the same photos which are not showing up anywhere else are still not showing up through Kies.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue, the photos have been corrupted.
We tried to recover these through all recovery methods we have available but this is not possible. I can only advise from now on install the App Dropbox. This will backup your photos online and you get 2GB free, so you could always avoid this issue occurring in the future. You should also always backup the phone via Kies before doing any updates.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - when you say corrupted - do you mean this is a direct result of the firmware update?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Correct, it corrupted the photos during the process.