Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

My TouchWiz would not work after Lollipop upgrade. I tried

My TouchWiz would not work after Lollipop upgrade. I tried changing the Home Screen Mode to TouchWiz Easy but that didn't work, so I tried changing the Home Screen Mode to Knox, which was the only other option.
I rebooted and now all I get is a black screen with the Samsung logo and the phone (galaxy S4) is totally unusable. I've tried removing the battery and sim, but still the same black screen and no way of accessing the password ***** open it....
Help....
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you power off the Samsung.
Then hold the volume UP and power button until you see the recovery menu.
Are you able to get to this? If so, select Wipe Cache (Not wipe Data) and once complete, reboot the S4 and tell me if it now starts please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got a bleep and a black screen (no logo)

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Remove the battery Jeffrey, then put it back and and tell me if you can then get to the menu please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that three times.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the phone is completely bricked Jeffrey, we cannot even get to the recovery menu and regardless of the software problem we would always be able to get to this.
Was this an official upgrade delivered by your provider that was installed (over the air)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I assume so. I didn't request it but it certainly looked official and I couldn't use the phone until the download had been processed.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It was then Jeffrey, which in a way is good as the warranty is valid (as opposed to if you installed an update from another source).
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have it replaced as it is bricked. It is a known problem, and will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Bloody annoying, but thanks for trying.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is and its not often that it happens, but it can occur sorry.
If you need anything else, please let me know
And please remember the service rating by clicking a smiley face or star please.