Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Proven SD cards (3) not being recognised in new Dell 8 7840,

Customer Question

Proven SD cards (3) not being recognised in new Dell 8 7840, returning 'SD card blank or unsupported filesystem'? This appears to be a known problem as many references in forums. I don't want to reformat the cards as they have a lot of content that I want to keep.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To confirm, your running windows 8 correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, no, it's an android tablet.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a windows computer there as I want to repair the cards and we need to do this via windows.
You also need to insert the card into the windows computer via a card reader.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Card is already in a windows laptop ready to go

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What drive letter is it showing as and which version of windows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

E: and windows7

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
Then type in
chkdsk e: /f
Press enter
Let this repair complete as it will look for and repair corruption on the card.
Once it has completed, then try the card in the dell
Note John, depending on the size and amount of issues it can take some time to complete, so please be patient with the process
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It ran quickly and returned no errors, filesystem is exFAT

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you see any files on it via the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, what now happens if you put it back in the Dell?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still not recognised, same error msg

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do you have the problem with additional cards in the Dell, or just one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same on all three two sandisk 128gb and one 64 GB. There's a lot on the forums on this problem so not unique to me / dell

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, there are two causes left for this, the firmware is corrupted or the Card port has faulted.
To confirm this we will need to reset the Dell. This is going to remove all the data and return it to new, but this we cannot avoid.
To do this.
First you need to shut the Dell to do this, long press on the power button brings up the ‘Power Off’ option. Select this.
Wait about 30 seconds before you go to the next step.
Boot into the Droidboot menu by pressing the power-on button and, quickly after, the volume down button. Hold both pressed until you see a Dell logo and then you can let go of the power button. Keep the volume button pressed.
Keep the volume-down button pressed and you’ll eventually get into the menu options. You can let go of the buttons.
Use the volume down and up buttons to select the RECOVERY option and press the power button to confirm. The device will reboot into a screen with Android lying on its back.
Simultaneously press the volume up and volume down buttons twice. The recovery menu should appear.
You must select the option: ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and press the power button to confirm. You’ll be asked to confirm again in the following menu. Scroll down with the volume button and press power to confirm.
A full reset takes about 5 minutes and you’ll end up ion the menu system above where you can select ‘reboot system now’
Setup the dell again like you did when you first received it, and then try to have it read a memory card.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He's lying on his back but simultaneously pressing vol up / down twice isn't offering recovery menu?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but its not Volume UP in my instructions, just Volume Down John.
Its really important you do the instructions exactly as listed else it wont enter it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did Richard...you said to press both, reread what you sent. Pressing only down isn't bringing recovery menu either

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Both means Volume Down and Power John
There is no Volume Up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is where I am and the instructions below aren't bringing up the recovery menu?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
So you did get into the menu? As you said you only saw the Android on his back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I didn't as the instructions didn't take me there. I need to collect a baby, back in 20 mins

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then the initial steps did not work. But you only do volume up and down if you get to the menu.,
We will redo the instructions again when your back
Power it off again (hold the power button for 30 seconds)
Tell me if you can get this far. It will work so try a few times as it can be tricky to do but is the process for this model.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I have recovery mode in a red box and android on his back, having done the above.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a list of menu items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, just the red box and android man

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its encountering a fault of some kind.
Start the Dell so it loads normally.
Go to Settings, then On the left side, scroll down to the Personal section and touch Backup & reset.
Then touch Factory Data Reset and then touch Reset tablet
Does it reset this way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says it is erasing

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, let this complete, then setup the Dell and tell me if it now reads the memory cards correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, same error message

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
All cards giving the error correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, all three

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, put one of the SD cards in the windows computer.
Right click on the Drive and select Format.
Choose a full format, then put the card into the Dell and tell me if you still get the error please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That will delete all the data which I don't want to lose

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, first copy the data from the SD card to a folder on your computer.
Then you can format it then copy the data back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, says it will take 50 minutes so back in a while

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bought a new SD card instead and that doesn't work either, same error message 'SD card is blank or unsupported filesystem'. I believe this to be android rather than hardware issue judging from the comments on forums indicating same problem across many different platforms.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, its not an android issue as we have done a complete reinstall of the operating system, removing any issues with the firmware that can cause this.
We have also rule out data corruption or faulty memory cards, which confirms the problem as the SD card reader on the Tablet.
This is part of the mainboard and will require the mainboard in the Dell to be replaced.
It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at know cost to you.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But reinstalling doesn't mean the operating system has no faults which may cause this? It could still be an android issue. I will seek support from Dell and see what they say.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no, reinstalling it returns the device to new, and a new device can read memory cards as you saw when you first received the device.
You cannot do nothing further then a reinstall, just like with a computer, if you reinstall windows and still have have an issue, you know it is hardware.
With any device, eliminate software as the cause to confirm a hardware issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We haven't eliminated software as the cause, the device has never read SD cards it has failed on four different cards and, as yet, the reason is not known. Once the problem is resolved we can be certain of the cause.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, just means you had a faulty device from the start.

But up to you how to proceed of course. Even if after everything has been eliminated.

All the best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Android is constantly having new releases to fix bugs, so reinstalling would just reinstall them. Yes, the SD card didn't read from the start. I have logged an issue with Dell so we can identify whether it is a hardware or software issue.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its really simple John, if the Dell did not work from the start with SD cards, a) I would know about it b) you would see this straight away on all device c) a patch would already have been delivered.
An no, Android is not constantly releasing patches to fix bugs but 95% of the time to bring enhancements to the operating system in the form of OS upgrades.
But its ok, you as the customer can choose to accept my diagnosis or not. In this case you have not, fair enough then and good luck with dell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

a) how would you know about it? b) I did see it straight away on the device c) patches take time to deliver, also you haven't commented on the numerous references to this issue over the past five years? I am very pro the Google and android eco system but am also aware of the glitches and release cycle which often mentions bug fixes and crashes.

All I am saying is, with the problem unresolved, it could still be hardware or software, and I'm sure you know that.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok John, like I said, no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By the way, today's android update (121) has no improvements but does refer to both bugs and crashes.....

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to 'storage' and erased the new, empty, 64gb SD card and immediately 58.23gb became as available on SD and error msg disappeared from notifications? What is going on there? I haven't tried one of the other cards that have content yet but it would appear that the SD card reader is working, albeit oddly.....what do you think?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Not sure as I had you format the card before, did you actually format it last time I asked when you were to first copy off the data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a new card I bought yesterday fresh out of the packet. It didn't work, same as the others, until I went to storage and erased it?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Still always needs to be formatted John.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you are saying, the three existing cards all worked out of the packet and I didn't format any of them. They work in two phones, a gopro and a Samsung tablet. The new card returned the same error message 'unsupported filesystem' until it was 'erased' not formatted and the error message disappeared and the storage capacitry became available. The other cards still don't work. Doesn't look like a card reader issue, as one card now is being read, rather some software/firmware fault.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry John, I spent a lot of time with you yesterday and only now find out you never actually did my instructions to format the card. If I had known this it would have made a big difference as I need to know if the instructions I am giving are being done or not. Erasing is formatting, but it doesn't matter you only had to do the instructions I gave, which I see you did not.
i keep explaining as we have done a factory restore, its not a software issue. I don't feel any progress is going to be made.
I am going to opt out of working with you on this. If another expert takes up your case you will be notified.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I decided to buy a new, empty, card to see if it worked; it didn't until erased.you haven't commented on the other proven cards not working even though the new one does? That eliminates hardware and leaves software as the likely cause.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I told you previously to copy the data from the card and format it.
Instead you went and bought a new card instead, ignoring my instructions.
Hence why I am opting out of working with you John.
It only works if you do the instructions I ask you to do, or at the least tell me if you do not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Patronising approach which doesn't focus on the faccts which don't fit your dogmatic analysis.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Three existing and proven, with video / photo content, SD cards are prompting 'blank SD card or unsupported filesystem' error message on new Dell 8 7840 android tablet. A new SD card works on the tablet after erasing it?