A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  I've owned android devices and tablets for years and understand how the work.
71208907

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. I dropped it recently from

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. I dropped it recently from no great height and it was in its leather case. Since then the display has failed and I'm left with coloured horizontal lines. Judging by the sound indicators the tablet seems to be operating. Is it the screen I need to replace and if so how big a job is it? Would really appreciate any advice at this stage. Thanks
Charlie
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
Hi Charlie - you can get the screen repaired from a local repair store or you could send it to a repair shop. I would be happy to assist you to locate one. The repair job isn't too bad, usually around 50-100$ for a replacement screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I was really looking for guidance in doing it myself. I have worked on PC's and laptops quite freely in the past. Its just that tablets seem a different ball game. I have so far detached my tablet away from the back cover. I now need to know how the screen comes away from the circuit boards etc.. Is it stuck on with adhesive or is it a screwdriver job?

Charlie

It is mostly screws and plastic clips. I can send you a instruction video on how to replace it
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu6458F0c5I Replacement screen: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Screen-Digitizer-Replacement-Samsung/dp/B00ADH97PE
I hope I was able to help you today. If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here. Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the video. After watching it I am a little confused as my screen is not broken. It seems that the display under the screen has failed in some way to produce horizontal coloured lines etc.So I feel it could be something else more complex. Would agree on that?

Charlie

Typically those horizontal lines mean there is some physical damage with the led's on the screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So It is the outer glass touch screen that you think I need to replace as shown in the video?

So actually would probably need to replace the LCD
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00KBO7L0C/ref=sr_1_21_olp?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1437321909&sr=1-21&keywords=samsung+tab+8.9+lcd&condition=new