Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Outlook sync in Samsung Smart Switch

I am trying to use Outlook sync in Samsung Smart Switch on my windows 10 pc connected to my samsung mini galaxy s4. I get the following error message/ Notification: Cannot retrieve folder information due to an issue in Outlook. Please check the program and try again. Confirm. Please help. thanks in advance.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to justanswer.Go to Settings-Apps-Outlook. Uninstall it from your phone.Now go to Play Store and again install Outlook on your phone.Now log in with your details. Reply if the message still appears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Nathan,

Unfortunately, this answer has made things more complicated and I am no further forward.

Originally Outlook wasn't installed on my phone. So there was nothing to uninstall on the phone!

I then installed Outlook on the phone and logged in to see if this would make a difference but it obviously doesn't.

Do you understand that I have Microsoft Office including Outlook installed on the PC, and S planner installed on the phone and Smart Switch to interact between the two. But when using the Smart Switch Outlook Sync, Sync now I still get the error message/ Notification: Cannot retrieve folder information due to an issue in Outlook. Please check the program and try again. Confirm.

Yours

Ben.

Ok. I thought you were having difficulty on your mobile.
Open Outlook in your browser (from your PC) and sign-in. Check if you are still unable to log-in or not.
Reply with the update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nathan,

I suspect that there is no problem with the mobile.

Why open Outlook in the browser and is that Outlook.com, which I don't use. I also don't need to login to use Outlook.

What update should I be looking at?

I have tried the Smart Switch Backup and it still works. So I am still wondering why I get this error message/notification with Outlook sync/Sync now.

Ben.

I asked you to log-in through browser to check if the issue was with outlook or your computer. As you are unable to log-in through pc as well as phone, therefore most probably the problem is with your outlook account and not with smart switch or your computer. To confirm this log-in through browser was needed.
But as you have rated negatively in middle of the solution. I would better opt out and let some other expert help you.
Thanks anyways Ben. I hope your problem gets resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nathan,

To which expert am I now being referred to?

Ben.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First Ben, can you tell me which email service Outlook is connecting to? And do you know if it is connecting via Imap or Pop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

In answer to your questions:

Outlook is connecting to BT (British Telecommunications) and it is POP.

Ben

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which version of outlook are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version: 14.0.7153.5000 (32-bit)

Part of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you press the windows key + X
Then click on Control Panel.
Search in the top right for Mail and click on it.
then click on Show Profiles.
Click on Add and add a new profile using your BT Details
Once done, on that Show Profiles page, click on the Dropdown box and make the new profile the default.
Then open Outlook and make sure it can retrieve the email, then test and tell me if you still get the error please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have followed your instructions but when using the Smart Switch Outlook Sync, Sync now, I still get the same error message/ Notification: Cannot retrieve folder information due to an issue in Outlook. Please check the program and try again. Confirm.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Outlook itself is working correctly right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Outlook is working correctly.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, one question, why not just connect the Galaxy directly to your BT account, bypassing the computer altogether which is always the better solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

The mini galaxy is connect directly to my BT account and I receive emails just fine.

The problem in Smart Switch is syncing the (PC's) Office Outlook 2010 calendar with the (mini galaxy) S Planner. This is where the notification occurs.

Can I use my old Outlook profile instead of the BT profile because it contains all the accounts and the BT profile doesn't make any difference?

Ben

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, the profile is not the issue so you can use the original one again.
Can you on the Galaxy go to Settings, Applications.
Swipe to ALL and look for Calendar and press on Clear Cache (Not Data).
Then remove the battery to the phone, and wait 5 minutes.
Connect the battery and then try to synch.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

I changed the profile back again.

On the mini galaxy i went to settings, application manager, all, calendar storage and clear cache. I then removed the battery for 5 minutes.

After reinserting the battery and connecting with smart switch and starting Outlook sync, the program stopped working and crashed a couple of times.(?) I then restarted smart switch and after skipping duplicate entries - it finished ok.

I now have my calendars up to date.

Ben.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect Ben,
It was the Cache causing the issue, will be ok now.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist