Ashik
Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

How do I unblock my tablet from a ransom app.?

Customer Question

Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What is the model and make of your tablet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
S3 is the model number of the Galaxy line phone. Is this Galaxy Tab 3 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
One more question. Is your entire tablet affected with that ransomware or just the internet/browser app ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just the internet browser app

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Great ! Its just a fake website. To clear it, go to Settings > Applications Manager (under More)
Swipe left or right to All tab which is next to Installed, Running etc tabs.
Find and select Internet or Browser app. Tap Clear Data. Do the same for all the internet apps that are affected. That will clear it.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How is it going ? Another option is, just turn off WiFi or internet. Then open browser and just close that page and clear the cookies, cache etc.
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot turn the browser off, even with wi.fi. turned off the message is still on screen and will not allow me to trn it off; any more suggestions?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Press and hold down the Power button for 10-20 seconds and this will force turn off your tab. Then turn it on and do the steps without opening browser.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to clear the browser ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can turn the tablet off but the message is still on screen as soon as I tap the explorer icon. The icon now appears in my list of apps, the malware icon,if any,does not. If I tap the explorer icon and go to "clear data" the instruction box is grey and won't respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I can't clear it, despite following your instructions, I will admit I'm not fully conversant with the technology but I believe that I've followed your instructions correctly.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Terry, you did follow the instructions correctly. The reason it is not working that the entire tablet has been infected with the malware and not just the browser. I'd recommend to factory reset your Tab. This is best way to secure your tab.
First connect the Tab to your computer and backup all your important files, photos etx
Then go to Settings > backup & reset and factory reset your Tab from there. Remember this will erase everything from your tab and install a fresh software. So backup all your important files before factory reset.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can also use SAmsung Kies to backup your files from the Tab to your PC. Download Kies from here --> http://www.samsung.com/in/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/