Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

After problems with my Nexus 7 I set it back to factory

Customer Question

After problems with my Nexus 7 I set it back to factory settings. Now when I lick on settings I get a page headed Choose some apps, with an OK button. Nothing happens when I click on the OK button. Please note this is NOT a duplicate question so please
answer it. Thank you
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To check, when you factory resetted the Nexus, did it take you through the setup again like when you first received it?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So can we begin ?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I think you missed the question I sent to you, I will again repeat it
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I dont think so, should I do it all over again then ?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, but do it this way please
Turn it off completly.
Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the tablet turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery."
Press the Power button to start Recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
While holding down the Power button, press and release the Volume Up button once.
Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "wipe data/factory reset," then press the Power button to select it.
Press the Volume Down button seven times to highlight "Yes - erase all user data," then press the Power button to select it.
After the reset is complete, press the Power button to select the option to reboot your device.
Then set it up and tell me how it now functions please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still with me Richard ?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes..
I will again repeat the answer I just wrote out for you as it appears your not closely reading my messages and missing these.,
Turn it off completly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't receive yr previous answer but I'll try this now and come back to you OK ?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's taking an age to reboot
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
how long has it been?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4 or 5 minutes
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, give it 10 minutes, and if still it has not, hold the power button till it turns off, then turn it on and tell me what it then does please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK its done . I'm on the Welcome page . It won't let me change from English (United States) to English (United Kingdom)
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is not responding to your touch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah now it has so I'm on to Select Wi Fi
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it should be ok, but complete the setup and let me know if it then functions please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm getting Authentification problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Isn't there a password ***** shld put in somewhere
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, thats because your putting in the wrong wifi password, you need to check and put the correct one in please that you set for your wifi or was given.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I get back to the screen which asks me for the PW?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
when you press on the wifi network it will ask you then to enter the password.
So press on your wifi network and it then asks you for it.
Then enter the correct password *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But it dosn't it just says "Authentication problem"
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, because your entering in the WRONG password, so clear the error and enter in the correct password *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But how do i get back to the screen which asks me for the PW ?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Then enter the correct password *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct PW now in but problem remains
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
what problem are you now referring to please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After reboot I go to Settings. then get page headed Choose some Apps and OK button. Click on OK button, nothing happens
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalling it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Nexus to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.