Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Im driving and using 2 Android devices in the

Hi,Im driving for Uber and using 2 Android devices in the car. Sometimes they charge ok, sometimes not. I cant seem to work out why!
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Mark and welcomeCan you tell me the make and model of the 2 devices please?Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Samsung Galaxy tab 3 / Sony Xperia Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes they run fine, sometimes they can't seem to get enough power. Even though they are plugged into a splitter that provides 2amps each. Last week the tablet was topping out and asking to be unplugged. This week it's just running down.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, on both devices go to Settings, Applications, then swipe to the list AllLocate Google Services Framework and press it. Press Clear Datarestart the devices and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes they run fine, sometimes they can't seem to get enough power. Even though they are plugged into a splitter that provides 2amps each. Last week the tablet was topping out and asking to be unplugged. This week it's just running down. This sweetshop from the phone. Can't see the one you mention
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O wait found it
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, you were in the wrong list
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the tablet is still dropping. I'm running Uberpartner and Wake, which is what it normally manages. The phone provides Internet via Hotshot to the tablet. Phone seem to be about holding station with power. Tablet has gone from 65 - 60% since we started.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.. UBER partner and Waze
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, looks like your drawing more power then its providing.Restart the Tablet and do not open anything, does it then charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O wait. Soz. Using it atm. Will do when I drop this rider off
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok restarted at 4.50 with 49% opened no apps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remains steady. Doesn't pick up and charge even with no apps running. About 20% screen brightness
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last used it Sat and it was fine. My son's played some games on.it. That's all
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What about from a wall charger? Does it then charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's just been on the mains charger for an hour and a half and it's up to 90%now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its the charger your using, it is not getting the power it needs, and so loses power when being used.Try a different charging plug and if possible use this one.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverter-notebook-emergency-MRI3013BU-UK-300W-Car-Power/dp/B00INW611YAs these can get more power out of the socket.Let me know how you go please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im currently using this one and I have no problem for months. Its only recently that I've had a power problem. Anker 40W 5-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 5; iPad...
( 321808398531 )
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but the fact you never had problems in the past does not mean it has developed a fault... If its charging right from the mains, then this is the most obvious cause we would need to rule out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive found an App called Ampere, could we use this to measure the charge from the charger I have? I've installed it on the phone and am now putting it on the tablet. I don't really want to buy the power supply suggestted as it will limit the amount of kit I can run.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its not very accurate, but you can use it if you wish.But if we cannot rule out the adapter Mark, or you will not look into my recommendations even with trying a different adapter, I respect this and will opt out so you can work with another expert that may have other ideas you will more wish to try out. ThanksRichard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The adapter shows its providing current and still charges the phone. Sometimes the tablet gains as well. Other times it loses all the way down to zero. This leads me to believe the tablet must be intermittently running something that is power draining. I will buy another power supply in the last resort but am worried it will cost me money and not necessarily solve the problem. If you want to pass me onto a colleague then fine. Thank you for your help far.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its a power issue and only the adapter is involved as we ruled out the Tablet via the mains, but I have opted out as without trying a different adapter then I see no way to move forward. No need to respond, you will get a message when another expert takes over.Thanks Mark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, I seem to have found a solution to this ... if the tablet starts with sufficient power it is fine. Anywhere in the 90% + bracket and it charges up to 100% and stays there. You can even run the screen on a decent brightness for daytime use. If you start out on, say, 65% it always heads south and no amount of switching things off/dimming the screen is gonna save it. I have NO idea why this should be but thought I'd let you know.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but I told you Mark why this happens... You have not got a solution but just a work around the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must have missed that bit! It IS getting enough power to run from the car adapter.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok Mark