Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a s4 gt 19505 and the wifi toggle switch will not

hi i have a s4 gt 19505 and the wifi toggle switch will not turn on
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you please go to Settings, Applications.Swipe to the list All and locate Google Services Framework.Press it and press Clear Data.Restart the phone and tell me if the Wifi switch will then turn on please.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you mean go to application manager?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please, they word it differently at times depending on the firmware you have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok just cleared gsf and about to restart
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
restarting now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
restarted and pressed the wifi symbol
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
and the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok pressed the symbol and tried the toggle. still not switching on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still not switching on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, one of 2 things, the wifi adapter has faulted or the firmware is corrupt.We will need to do a hard reset. This will remove all data on the phone and return it to new, but this cannot be avoided (so first backup anything you need first).Then go to Settings, Backup & Reset, Factory ResetLet the reset complete and setup the phone like when you first received it and tell me if the wifi is now working please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but is there any way of doing this without losing my data
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no, you cannot avoid the loss of data with a reset
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way of backing up before reset
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, this is why I indicated you have to backup your data first.So copy off any data by connecting it to your computer then do the reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok im in kies now and back up choice doesnt show saving apps like whatsapp etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i copy data out of kies
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No you cannot back these up, only what Kies indicates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a lot of work items on whatsapp that i need to keep. I am currently working in sierra leone and have been working in the ebola crisis. is there absolutely no way of getting the wifi to reset without a full reset. someone told me about trying a new modem program for the phone??
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, we have to do this step. A modem program does not make any sense sorry... This is at a firmware / hardware level. I would not be having you do this if there was no need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. is there a process where you can turn the phone back in time like you can with a windows computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
System recovery, no there is not, else we would be doing that instead Nick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok how do i take the data from my phone first
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you back it up via Kies, like you were doing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
backing up now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The internet works on mobile data does this make a difference?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, two different areas of the phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry. i am trying to figure out how i can back all of my whatsapp info before reset. Need this for work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on kies it says backing up allication and a symbol that is a square with smaller squares inside. Does this mean apps?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No it wont, but if you have mobile data go to Whatsapp, Settings, Chat and there you can choose to do a backup to Google Drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will have to do this where I have telephone signal. Unfortunately that isnt here. I will need to do that before i do the reset. So once ths has been done, all i need to do is go to settings, backup and reset, reset?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct, and then you have one of two outcomes.It works again which means it was the firmware that had to be reloaded.Or it still does not work which means you will need to replace the phone as the wifi module on the mainboard has failed and would need replacing.It is one of these reasons and you will only know once the reset is done.I have marked the question to never close, so any issues, let me know hereIf you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any reason why the phone may get so hot? would this be related
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, that can point to the mainboard faulting, which is why the wifi adapter faults.Or it is just running a lot of processing. The phones can get a bit hot, especially if the local temperature is hot there.But you will only know this once the reset is done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help. fingers crossed it is firmware.Nick
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Will do Nick, though concerned about the temperature...Let me know if you have any problems and please remember the service rating via the stars at the top then submit please.Thank you