Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have been trying to upgrade the software on a new galaxy

Hi I have been trying to upgrade the software on a new galaxy note 3 I have encountered an issue. I tried downloading on the phone and also with Samsung kies but I keep getting error. After many attempts at emergency software recovery, my phone is stuck and I can't access it. Please what should I do?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeFirst, from where are you trying to download the firmware to update the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded Samsung kies on my computer and connected the phone to the computer to download the firmware. But before that I tried to download on the phone's software update and it did not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksWhat now happens exactly when you try to start the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again" on the screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, power off the NotePress and hold the Home button (located at the bottom) & Volume Up button (located on the left edge) until you get to a menu.Are you able to get to this menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, connect the phone to the computer and open Kies.What does Kies then say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kies is asking me to emergency recovery which I have a several times and it kept encountering error.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
whats the exact error message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the phone yesterday and it's been working well until I saw the software update notification and decided to update. after a long while, the update was not successful. The phone's system said ""error installation stopped" and suggested that I try the Samsung kies. The error on kies is the same, that installation is not possible and that I should contact Samsung service center.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, plug the phone into a different USB port on the computer, open Kies and try to update again. Same error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kies is asking me to go over the process again. it's gonna take a long while to do. I have started with the cable in a different USB.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, as the USB port can be at issue, start the process and let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now downloading files for emergency software recovery.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard, the error has come again. It is saying "firmware emergency recovery stopped due to Galaxy Note 3 error. If the problem persists, please contact the Samsung service centre."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the next step we do is dependent on your warranty as this will void the warranty. Does the phone still have a valid warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to get the phone back to its operating system before I tried to download the upgrade. I think it does.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I understand, but the only step left is to manually flash the firmware but this voids the firmware and if the manual flash fails it means the internal memory has faulted. If you do this and void the warranty then you would not be able to get the mainboard repaired.As it has a warranty, then we do not of course want to do this. You are going to have to return the phone to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok many thanks but I thought you could help me bring the phone back to its operating condition before I tried to upgrade the software. But thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We did everything possible, if you want to void the warranty, we can go and do a manual flash of the phone, this is what I explained about the warranty being a factor. If you want to ignore this let me know and we will do a manual flash of the firmware.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else please rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I would like to return the phone.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, as there is a warranty and in the event you do try to manually flash it and it fails as this issue is a hardware problem, then you would not have the option of a free repair, hence why I am advising this.If you need anything else, please let me know and please remember the rating via the stars at the top then submit so I am credited.Thank you
Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist