*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

My Samsung S6 Edge has been running hot, killing the

Customer Question

My Samsung S6 Edge has been running hot, killing the battery, for the last 10 days or so, and has lost mobile internet connectivity (no 4G, H+ displayed sometimes but still no web pages can be loaded). The phone works for voice calls and texts but the reception is poor and calls are often dropped.
If I put it into "flight mode", the machine cools down and the battery usage slows, so it seems like the power drain is from one of the antennas continually searching for a signal, or something like that.
Wi-fi and all other functionality works fine.
I live in Oxford and 4G coverage has always been good. None of my friends report problems on their phones.
The phone was running the latest software (Android Marshmallow). Although yesterday I performed a factory reset to see if that would fix the problem.
I suppose this could be a hardware problem, but these phones seem so indestructible, and there is no visible damage anywhere, so I am wondering if there might be a software / firmware problem that is fixable without pulling it to pieces?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 1 year ago.

Try this please.

Go to settings, then scroll to Backup and Reset.

Then tap on Reset.

That will reset your network settings.

Then check for normal operation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you... I just tried this. There were two options: "Reset settings" (reboots the phone) and "Reset network settings". I tried both. It seems the problem is still there. The connection icon is "H+" with between 1 and 4 bars of reception (pacing around my house), but I can't load a webpage (Chrome tells me "You are offline").Humph...Thank you though!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, the connection icon just changed to E and my homepage just loaded. Hmmmm... No 4G, but now I can't be sure if that's shonky reception (and the problem is fixed) or just if the problem is more subtle than I realised...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's very slow... But then "E" is always quite slow, I think...

Okay, go to settings, then choose mobile network, then make sure global is enabled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah, thanks for this. In "settings", under "mobile networks", I have the following items:
Data roaming (switched off)
Access Point Names -- > Internet (everywhere)
Network Mode (2G/3G/4G auto connect)
Network Operators (EE)

If you can’t get a signal where you normally would, there could be an issue with the network. However there also be a problem with your device. So we suggest you follow this checklist if you’re having trouble

Check the expected 4G, 3G and 2G coverage in your location on the EE coverage checker. Although it’s only a guide, it can tell you whether you should expect to get coverage in a particular location.

By testing your SIM card in another EE handset you can quickly establish if the issue is directly related to your phone or not.

If your SIM doesn’t work in another EE handset, we would then suggest testing a different EE SIM card into your device. If the other SIM card does work with your phone you can order a new replacement SIM card online. <<click blue link.