Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Smart Switch problems syncing Outlook 2010 on Windows 10 to

Smart Switch problems syncing Outlook 2010 on Windows 10 to a to Samsung Galaxy S7 on Android 6.0.1
Hi Richard,
I get the same issues other users have asked about i.e. when trying to set the sync profile by selecting any of the sync categories, Calendar, Contacts or Tasks it errors: Cannot retrieve folder information due to an issue in Outlook. Please check the program and try again.
On the PC outlook is working fine.
I followed a few of you recommendations to others i.e. deleting cache in the form for the application e.g. contacts (4kb), Calendar storage (4kb) and Task provider (4kb). I cant remove the battery on this phone so powered down and restarted. Still get the same problem.
Anything else I can try?
Guy
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Guy and welcome

With which email service is outlook connecting to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
POP/SMTP?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, thats the type, but whats the actual service? eg: Hotmail, Gmail

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an email provider in South Africa... MWEB.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, the reason I am asking is it is always best to synch online direct to the server rather then via the computer, but they do not offer calendar or contact services correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't use them. The data I want to sync is in and personal folder in a .PST file on my computer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

Can you perform a scan of your PST file by following the instructions on my link below

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

Once done, restart the computer and tell me if it now works please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
Apologies for the delay in replying. I have retried your advice many times but still the same issue.
I ran the scanpst on my main personal folder with my contacts, calendar and tasks, repaired and rebooted same issue.
I have quite a few personal folders, ran scanpst and repair on all, same problem. Re-ran scanpst again, found further errors for repair, repaired, same problem.Removed all additional folders from my outlook data file and only left the main one. Ran scanpst and repair again. Checked again, when no errors, tried SmartSwitch again... same issue. Ran scanpst and found some more error with the personal folder.
How is it that this personal folder works fine with Outlook yet continues to report errors when scanned. I don't understand.What else can I try.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, we will need then to do a reset of the phone to rule this out as the cause.

Backup any data on the phone first, as this removes ALL your personal data.

Then go to Settings, Backup & Restore, Factory Data Reset.

Let this complete and when it has, set up the phone and tell me if the synching now works please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
I'll only get time to try this during the weekend.
I'm a bit nervous to reset the device, unaware of what will be required to get it back in a usable state again.,
I'll let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks, ***** ***** know please how it goes.

It will lead you on the setup procedure when reset, just like when you first received the phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
Once again apologies for the delay in getting to do this!
OK, I have backed up my Galaxy S7 using the SmartSwitch backup.
I have reset to factory data and after a few restarts took me through all the setup again.
When all that ended I attempted to sync with outlook again using SmartSwitch. No luck.
It failed with the same message “Cannot retrieve folder information due to an issue in Outlook. Please check the program and try again”.
Remembering your previous advice, I have run SCANPST.exe and repaired all on the PST files on my laptop.
Then, without starting up Outlook, started SmartSwitch, connected my phone and proceeded to perform the sync, hoping that it will not delete everything in my Outlook because the phone is now empty.
The same result. The moment I select the Contacts checkbox to start to select which contacts folder to sync with I get the same error message.
It looks like this one is not going to be solved. Now what?
I will proceed to restore my phone from the backup I took with SmartSwitch and hopefully I will be back where I started.
What’s next?
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

let me know on which device the bluetooth is not working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michelle,
I think you are in the wrong problem stream.
Richard is dealing with my SmartSwitch issue.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Guy

The next step then is to add a new profile to outlook to recreate it.

Go to control panel, type in Mail in the top right and click on Mail

Click on Show Profiles

Then click on Add

Add your details to the profile then set it as the default profile.

Open outlook so it can synch the emails down.

Then try to synch the phone please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
I've created a new profile with a new .pst file.
When I opened outlook it received all my mail again to the new folder.
I set it as the default.At this point it does not have contacts, tasks or calendar folder.
On opening SmartSwitch, I can's sync until I set sync preferences. when I open that, the moment I select the contacts checkbox, I get that same failure message. see the attached screen snapshots.
This is before I can even request a sync.There are 4 data files connected to my outlook now. does it only look at the files connected to the default profile.
I don't think so because it used to display all the PST folders even from the non-default profile I have.
I think the default is just the default email sending profile.Anyway, no solution yet. What else can I try?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, next step is you have to reinstall outlook.

Backup your contacts and emails if they are not on the server.

Go to start, control panel, uninstall a program and uninstall outlook

Restart, reinstall and tell me if it then synchs please.

Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
Outlook does not exist in the programs and features. Only Microsoft Office Professional 2010.
I didn't want to uninstall that because I've no idea how I would re-install it. I bought this laptop nearly 7 years ago, with this fully installed. I did see a change option and that offered a repair option that I selected.
After the repair and a reboot of the laptop, the SmartSwitch was able to select contacts, calendars and tasks from my original mail profile and the sync was successful. Finally success!
I have removed the new profile, and re-synced successfully again, all appears good.
I've still got lots of tidying up to do; clearing pst files and getting all my accounts and apps on the phone working properly again, but this problem is solved. Thanks.I'm good to rate you now so that you can get credited. I'm only going to rate a 4 because of the unnecessary phone reset. it seemed obvious to me that the issue was between the SmartSwitch app and outlook and nothing to do with the phone because I couldn't even select a folder to sync with.But anyway, Thanks for your perseverance, especially with my delayed replies.
Job well done. I've learned quite a bit with this process.
Thanks Again,
Take care,
Guy.