Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Thought Id asked this but its vanished. I'm working for Uber

Customer Question

Thought Id asked this but its vanished. I'm working for Uber and their new update means you can only call riders from the app.Trouble is I run the app on a tablet that doesn't have a SIM. I connect it to Uber through a portable wifi hub (Osprey Mini) that does have a SIM but I don't know if I can call through it. Skype doesn't work as the Uber system seems to reject it. Can I make NON VOIP calls via the SIM in the portable hub?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mark,
My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

The SIM cards in these hubs are normally loaded with data only, so cannot be used for non-VoIP calls.

If you were to use a SIM card that allowed data+calls then you could make non-VoIP calls via that SIM.
--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, do I need to install some phone app then? So then the tablet can Wifi into the hub and the calls go through?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes you could use a suitable app to make VoIP calls, e.g. Skype.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can easily add calls to the existing SIM package. The question is what dialer /contacts software is there for the tablet and how does connect to the Wifi hub? With Wifi presumably and the calls go through that and then out through the phone system? Is there a suitable app?Mark
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mark,

You could use Skype or Vonage or Talkatone.

Here are some others:

https://www.rebtel.com/en/international-calling-guide/mobile-apps/top-5-apps-for-wifi-calling/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I CAN'T use voip. It has to go through normal phone. That's what I'm say. No Skype or any voip app will work.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hmm.. there aren't many, if any, apps that will let you make mobile network calls from a tablet device.

What type of tablet do you have?