Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I use fingerprint security on my s7 which is great. However,

I use fingerprint security on my s7 which is great. However, having updated something recently it rebooted and now keeps asking for a password ***** order to protect the security of the fingerprints
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

When you restart you always need to first input your security code, that you set up when you setup the fingerprint.

Once you do it the first time after a restart, then you can go back to using your fingerprint again.

What happens when you enter in the password?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't recognise the password. I accessed the Samsung online help via this tablet and reset the password, it doesn't say how long to use just that the link is only valid for 24 hours. Still no success and it is now locked out for an hour at a time ! Very frustrating
I have used this reset 3 . . . no 4 times so now suspect if this may have helped it and/or I are out of sync
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

The password ***** ***** from Samsung, its the password ***** entered directly on the phone when you set up the fingerprint scan.

Do you recall what this was?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't recall doing so. But will give that some thought. I have looked online and a few people have managed a work around, but it seems there are more that cannot.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

The only other work around is a full reset of the phone, as the reason for this lock is to protect the data.

If you do not recall the password ***** you need to reset the phone.

This will remove all data from the phone and return it to new, but there is no way to avoid this.

To do the reset, please do the following.

• Power off your device.
  • Wait for a few seconds while your phone is shutting down.
  • Press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons simultaneously to get into Recovery mode.
  • Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery mode.
  • Once in, from the main menu, using Power key, select wipe data factory reset.
  • If you want to clear app data cache too, choose wipe cache partition. Clearing cache often fixes various software related issues.
  • When done, go back to main recovery menu.
  • Select reboot system now and that’s about it.

The phone is then returned to new , wiping all data not backed up online, so you can then set up the phone again.

But you will need to do this if you cannot remember the password ***** unlock it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The trouble is I work in a job requiring me to have so many passwords which constantly change
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah thats what I was afraid you would say, but was hoping for a little known trade secret to be plucked out of the ether
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

If there was a way to get around the security, it would be known very quickly and resolved. They had a work around with the S2, which was patched within a few days, now they have made it that no one can get around it due to the way the encryption is implemented.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah the more I think about it the more it makes sense, was just hoping they might have a get round if I provide some security information . . . . Oh well, hardcore set it is