Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a samsung J3 that I stupidly upgraded to marshmellow

I have a samsung J3 that I stupidly upgraded to marshmellow 6 and I can't access my SD card. Anything I can do?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 5 months ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible.

Are you using your SD card as internal storage or adaptable storage within Marshmellow or don´t you see the SD card at all? Or can you see it but you can´t save on it? I am just want to make sure that I understand the exact problem you are having with your SD card, only then I can help you effectively.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think can see it but can't save on it. Everything is trying to save to the 'old' internal drive so I cannot use most of my apps as Spotify is taking all the spaceThank you
Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks for letting me know, I know this problem just to well myself... With marshmallow, you have 2 ways to setup your micro SD card, please have a look at this tutorial and see if it solves the problem for you (it solved it for me when I switched over some months ago):

http://gadgetguideonline.com/android/android-marshmallow-guide/how-to-use-micro-sd-card-in-android-marshmallow/

If it does not fix your problem the way you wanted, please just let me know and I will forward you to another expert (free of charge for you) that might have another solution for you on top of that one.

If I already was able to help you, I would very happy about a positive rating (select 3 to 5 stars at the right top and click "submit"), because only then I get paid by JustAnswer with a part of your already accomplished payment, which mediated your question to me as an independent expert.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try this later on when home from work, and let you know
Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply and I look forward to your message. Please just let me know:)

Thank you and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear Lorenz,I am sorry to say this did not work. I have been removing the SD card to try to re-start the process but nothing is coming up. I did see this link when googling what to do but didn't try it at the timeSorry,MArtin

Dear Martin,

thanks for getting back and sorry to hear it wasn´t fixed. Please allow me some time and I will do some extra research for you. If I don´t find anything, I will open your question for other experts. Is that fine with you or are you in a hurry?

Lorenz

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like it resolved as soon as possible, but I can allow some time as not sure how else to fix it apart from going back to my phone provider

Thanks for letting me know, I have done some more research but came to no conclusion on why it would not ask for what you´d like to do when inserting the card. So if you want, I will open the question to other experts, maybe someone has another idea there. Just let me know.

Thank you very much for your patience and all the best to you,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please open the question thank you.regards
Martin
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there Martin

First, if you open the My Files app, can you copy files to the SD card?

If not via this app, what exactly happens when you try?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I copied the samsung ringtone over no problems but had difficulty finding other files on the device storage that I could test or try
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, but if one file can copy then any can.

So specifically where is the issue?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the issue is that I have a phone with 8g of internal memory and a 16g sd card and after i updated to marshmallow I cant used the SD card and most of my apps aren't working. I am at work at the moment so it is difficult for me do anything remotely until later this evening UK time
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, but when you say you cannot use the SD card, exactly how do you mean? As you can copy files to it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Most of the previous apps I downloaded are now 'greyed out' on my home screen/s. When I try to re-instal them via playstore it days the device has insufficient storage and doesn't give me the option of selecting the sd card
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, but you can never install direct to SD card, this is always the case. Only some apps can run from SD card and you first need to download them to the internal memory, then you go to Settings, Applications and there see if they can be moved. Apps for example with Widgets cannot. This has always been the case in all versions of Android.

It is possible they have been lost on the card.

First uninstall them from settings, apps.

Then make sure you free up enough space on the internal memory to download them before the move. Download an app and then try to move it please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, this seems really random so I had to try it several times. It seems like that the apps that were 'greyed' out on the home screen, I can uninstall, reinstall, and then change the storage to the SD card. Apps that weren't greyed out won't give me that storage option (like I used to do prior to marshmallow). If I uninstall those apps, reinstall and then try to move it, it won't do it i.e it doesn't give me the option of moving the SD card.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Yes, not all apps can be moved to SD, ones with widgets ect. If the developer did not allow for this it is not possible. This is nothing to do with the version of the firmware, it has always been the case with Android.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But this isn't consistant.....these are apps that I previously had on my SD card, such as Spotify. I had no 'downloaded' apps from playstore on the internal storage previously, they were all on the sd card.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

If the app can be moved to the SD card, the procedure I had is how you have to do this.

Richard, Android Engineer
Experience: Android Systems Specialist