Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I have a Samsung Galaxy J1 cellphone with an Android o/s. I

I have a Samsung Galaxy J1 cellphone with an Android o/s. I changed my Gmail/Google password ***** few months ago, and delayed changing on my cellphone. I now need to gain access with the new password ***** there's no way I can see to do this on the cellphone, without deleting Gmail as an account. I don't want to do this, as it warns me that all data, contacts etc. will be deleted.How do I change the Gmail password?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you resolve your problem.

I have been following this issue for years. From what I can tell, Google has a network of registration servers that parallels their gmail servers. The registration server is supposed to get the change in the gmail password ***** the gmail server within 24 hours. However, it does not work this way consistently. The gmail address that has been used to originally register an Android device cannot ever be deleted or changed, not even after a factory reset. All you can do is to try the old gmail passwords and the new gmail password. It is a good idea not to change your gmail password, and to save a record of your old passwords.

If you have any questions or have problems with this advice, please let me know so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. My goal is to provide you with the best possible customer service. If you are satisfied with my advice, please take a moment to rate my services.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for you detailed reply. I can't see that using an old password, even if I could remember it, would help with accessing any of the Google apps (Gmail, Drive, Backup etc.) which are tied to my current account. I also find it difficult to believe that with this Samsung Android device one can't change the Google access password; changing passwords at regular intervals is a routine security practice (?).So, in summary, having changed my Google password ***** there is no way of backing up my Contacts on the 'phone, which is my sole aim?Maybe linking to a PC? Using my Samsung Cloud (registered but never used)?

Do you mean backing up your contacts or restoring them? Do you have access to the contacts on your Android smartphone now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I mean backing them up. I can see them on my c'phone, but I just need to back them up.

Apparently, I do not really understand your problem. I thought that you had problems registering your smartphone. But Now it appears to me that your phone has been registered to a known gmail address, but you cannot remember the password. If this is the case, you can just use your web browser on your computer to go to www.google.com and select the gmail link or go directly to www.gmail.com and sign in with your gmail address. There you can use the Forgot Password ***** to reset your password.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try and be concise.1) I want to back up my Contacts on my Samsung Galaxy J1 cellphone which uses the Android o/s.2) This phone was originally connected to my Gmail account (plus additional Google apps).3) However the Gmail password ***** changed (via my laptop).4) There is no way I can see of connecting this Android c'phone to the Gmail/Google account with the new password, as the c'phone doesn't offer the option of changing the password ***** backup routines.So, my question is, how do I backup my Contacts on the c'phone, either via Google or Gmail or any other method?

You can safely remove your gmail account on your phone. Then set up a new Gmail account with the same Gmail address and your new password. Any Gmail contacts on your smartphone will disappear when you remove your Gmail account and reappear when you re-establish your account. Your Samsung contacts and Device contacts will be unaffected.

What is the method that you are trying to use to backup your Contacts using Google?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I delete the current Gmail account, then I get a warning that all data will be deleted, including contacts. If the contact are not backed up anywhere already, I cannot see how they will reappear on setting up the account. If they weren't backed up in the first place, there's nowhere they can be retrieved from, surely?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The whole point of this is a backup of my Contacts. I just can't risk losing the whole lot with your suggestion.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The method I'm using for backup on my c'phone is to go to Settings/Backup and Restore and selecting Back up my Data, selecting Backup account as my Gmail account, selecting Automatic restore.As there was no point in using the original Gmail account, as password ***** changed, I succeeded in adding another Gmail account (new), but still nothing appears in Contacts on the new Gmail account.

Please allow me to explain how Google contacts work. There are several different types of contacts. There are Device contacts indicated by a blank device symbol, Samsung contacts indicated by a user symbol, and Google contacts indicated by a multicolored capital G. You probably do not have any Google contacts at the present time.. They are created when the other types of contacts are backed up and restored by a program that makes use of a Google gmail account,or when Google is manually selected as the contact type when a contact is created.

After they are created either by a backup and restore program or manually, Google contacts on the smartphone are kept in sync with the online Gmail server. When the sync is enabled on the smartphone, any additions, deletions, and changes on one platform are instantly reflected on the other, without the need for any further backup and restore for these google contacts only.

If you were to delete the gmail account that was used when they were created fro the smartphone, they would disappear from the phone but not from the web. If none of your contacts are Google contacts, none would disappear. If you were able to reestablish that gmail account on your smartphone (the one for which you cannot remember the password), the google contacts would instantly reappear on your smartphone. When you established a new Google account (which I was going to recommend that you do), it had no effect upon any Google contacts that were created with a different Google account.

What I recommend is that you use your new gmail account to backup your data. Then your data will be automatically backup up once every 24 hours, and you can use that new gmail account to restore your data at any time. After they are restored, all of your contacts will be converted to Google contacts, and they will be available online when you login to your gmail server.

If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your very thorough explanation of the Google backup procedure; it is much appreciated.However, there is no evidence that although the original Google account was listed and backup actioned in the c/phone, there is no evidence that any contacts were backed up, either to that account, or the Google Cloud etc.. Whether the c/phone has access now to the Gmail/Google account is irrelevant. It should have backed up my contacts when it had access to the Gmail/Google account originally. (I change my Gmail/Google account password ***** so it's not a case that I've 'forgotten' the password ***** was used to set up backup on the c'phone - even if I knew the relevant password, it would have no relevance now).As explained above, and also recommended by you, I set up an additional Gmail/Google account, purely to backup the contacts in the c'phone. Backup options are selected on the c'phone to connect with the new Gmail/Google account. This was done over 48hrs ago. However, if I select Contacts in the new Gmail/Google account, it is empty, with the message 'You have no contacts yet!'In simple terms, for whatever reason, the c'phone is not capable of any sort of backup to my Google accounts. Further research on the web shows that I am not alone with this problem, and it now appears there is not a solution. It appears to be a software fault in the Android o/s on this Samsung c'phone.There may be other ways of exporting the contacts from the c'phone - perhaps creating a csv file, I don't know. If that is so, it may be possible to import that file to the new Gmail/Google account as it offers the option of importing a csv file.

You may think that you understand my thorough explanation, but you do not. You missed both of the main point that I mad entirely. It has taken me many years of experience with this to fully understand it. Here is what you need to know:

(1) You will not be able to verify that the backup using your original Gmail account has worked, because your Device contacts and/or Samsung contacts will not be converted to Google contacts until they are restored, and you cannot restore them, because you do not know the password.

(2) You cannot see the Device contacts and/or Samsung contacts that you backed up using your new Gmail account, because they will not appear online on your Gmail server until they are converted to Google accounts, and they will not be converted to Google accounts until they are restored on you phone.

You can restore them on your smartphone after your phone indicates that a backup has occurred. It may happen right away or it may take 24 hours. Just try it. You will see that each contact indicated that it is now a Google contact and they will all be displayed on your gmail server. BE sure to turn on the sync for the new Gmail account so that the changes that you make on your smartphone will be tracked online, and visa versa.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Everything (App data, Contacts, Drive, Gmail, Fit data (?), Newstand, People details) has shown as synced in the last 15mins from the phone to my new Google account.How do I test the restore? Can I prove the sync before I restore?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On the new account, I looked at Drive. It shows a Backup of 5 apps 2 days ago. It might make sense to wait until today's Backup shows in Drive?

You won't lose anything, because you haven't deleted anything. If you don't believe that the restore will work according to my predictions as I have explained, you can install our new gmail account on a different phone and perform the restore there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately I don't have another phone to restore and 'test' the backup. The idea of deleting everything and then restoring is just too much of a risk. If for any reason I lose my contacts it would be a complete disaster.I do appreciate your help, and your infinite patience with helping to solve this problem.

Thank you so much for he Excellent rating and for your very generous bonus! I really appreciate it. You have mad my day!

I wish I had not mentioned using a different phone, because you can actually restore your back.up on the phone on which you performed th backup, without deleting anything. This lowers the risk. You do not have to spend even a second without your contacts.

If you still do not want to do it, at least you know that your contacts are backed up, and you can always restore them if anything happens to them.