Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

How do I get google voice typing working offline on a new

Customer Question

how do I get google voice typing working offline on a new Alcatel Pixi 3 (3.5) device
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry I seem to have lost contact with eric
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After paying the site kept asking me to start a free trial for multiple questions, and so I exited the screen, and don't know what is going on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the alcatel pixi 3 (3.5) is running KitKat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

We will see if you have the option

If you go to settings-advance settings-language & input methods--google voice typing--do you see offline voice recognition to select?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, sorry about any delay in responding.Home screen
- settings (white square with blue hollow cog, settings written underneath)
- no option for advanced setting
- but Language & input
- Google voice typing - Automatic
- small hollow grey cog
- offline speech recognition - manage downloaded languages
- downloaded languages - installed English (US)
- All - English (US) pre-installed
- Auto update - auto update languages over Wi-Fi onlyI hope that is what you wanted.Jim
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The secure connection thing is that £22 plus the £18
Jim
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Please go to

And turn on online speech recognition

Then test it please Jim

And yes the cost is additional for the secure connection

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i haven't got the option to turn on speech recognitionjim
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

What do you see when you choose the option Jim?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mayhap I should explain what I'm doing. My wife suffers from Menier's Disease. One of the symptoms is loss of hearing. Last Christmas she effectively became deaf. In the living room, I have got a Dell Vostro All-in-one 23" stuck on the wall, and a wireless microphone. What I say into the mic, is translated to text on the screen via Google Voice Typing. It is in no way perfect, but it has transformed her life, and now she wants to extend it to when we go out. Which is why it needs to operate off-line. I am using this phone as a single purpose device, I haven't even added a sim card.- Google voice typing - Automatic
- small hollow grey cog
-Voice
- options are:
Languages - Default Language English (UK)
OK Google detection
Hands free
Speech output - on
offline speech recognition - manage downloaded languages
- All - English (US) pre-installed
- Auto update - auto update languages over Wi-Fi only
block offensive words - Hide recognised offensive voice results - on
bluetooth headset - records audio through bluetooth headset if available - on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You won't believe the agro I've had.
For voice recognition to work, you really need very close proximity to the microphone, utilising the internal mic, doesn't give very good results.
My first attempt was on a 1st gen Nexus 7, after a lot of trial and error, I discovered that the 3.5mm socket can not be used a mic. I only found this out, because it was mentioned in a blog or chat room. Apparently, they fixed this in the 2nd gen.
I couldn't get a bluetooth headset working.
So i bought an Irulu 7" tablet.
I had already bought half a dozen mics with 3.5mm sockets, and various adapters. TRS, TRRS, CTIA, OTMP.
I had to conclude that the IRulu didn't have the right 3.5mm connections either, and again I couldn't get the bluetooth headset working correctly.
So I bought this Alcatel Pixi 3 phone, and I can get the external mics working, with an adapter. I can get sound through the bluetooth headset, but I'm not sure, if I've got the mic working.
When I got this phone, i got the external mic working, and noticed that the response was very slow, because I've got a load of bloatware, so I attempted to get rid of them, but every time I started it up, they reappeared. I've done a factory reset about 4 times. Because I've tried things, and then got confused.
I am not unintelligent, but I can't get a grip on mobile this app type technology.
30 odd years ago, I used to be a computer manager for a bank, but it was all different then.
I can program in a lot of languages, from C to COBOL. I've played with IBM, DEC and TANDEM systems. But I've never had anything to do with PCs, apart from using them.
I always had a technical department to call on, and so I suppose, it would havebeen more accurate to call me a computer applications manager.
It seems to me that you need in-depth knowledge to do anything on modern computers.
And there seems to be no standardisation.
You find instructions to do something, and then there is a subtle but important difference betwixt what you can see on the screen, and what you have been told to do.
I am scared at the thought of doing a remote connection because I have never done it. (Which is not quite true, I used to have to connect to the mainframe regularly, from home, using an IBM Compaq, but that was literally phoning a number and logging in, and then I had a virtual mainframe system.)
I presume, I have to connect the phone to a PC, and then connect the PC to your PC. Which doesn't sound very hard, but I have no great faith in my technical abilities. And the more layers there are the more opportunities there are for me to mis-interpret and press the wrong button.
However, if you think it necessary?
As a by the by, if anybody could manufacture a single purpose unit which allowed conversational subtitles, or an app, then there is a huge market for it. The more I am forced to find out about deafness, the more I have discovered that it is the forgotten disability.
Sorry, if I am a bit verbose.
Jim
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've got to sign off for now, I will be back online after midnight, to 4.00 am, and then tomorrow afternoon from about 4.00 pm.
Sorry
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** no option to turn on offline Speech recognition correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there was no option to turn on offline Speech recognition that I could findJim
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, then it will not be possible Jim, if you do not have the option there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's bad news.
I guess I'll have to have a rethink.
Thanks anyway
Jim
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. Please keep in mind the only way the site credits me with assisting you is if you rate my service​ to you.

Please take a moment to return and rate my service to you 3 stars or above if I was able to give you great service! If for any reason my service was not excellent, please do not hesitate to let me know how I can continue to help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HiObviously I am not happy with your opinion that it is impossible to get offline voice typing on my Alcatel.Pixi 3, but that is not why I am not satisfied.As I understand it, you are basing your opinion on the fact that there isn't an option to enable offline voice recognition. But that only proves that there is not the option to turn offline voice recognition on or off.Whereas there is a heading entitled offline speech recognition with the option to manage downloaded languages. Logically that suggests not only that offline voice recognition is possible, but that it is impossible to turn it off.The fact that English (US) is pre-installed, and the fact that it appears to not be possible to download or even list further languages doesn't detract from the fact that the heading exists, and that offline voice recognition should be possible,My question referred to enabling a function which all indications show the Pixi 3 should be capable of performing.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Ok, but it cannot be enabled if it is not there Jim