Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Certified & Licensed
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

I have an oil painting purchased from the Mall Gallery in London

Customer Question

I have an oil painting purchased from the Mall Gallery in London in 1988 called Frosty Dawn painted by John Gardner, is this painting of any value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! It will be my pleasure to assist you today.
My name is Alan and I am a Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster as well as a USPAP compliant Accredited Appraiser of 14 years currently with the AOAppraisers. I'm ready to put my expertise, resources, and experience to work for you. Here you can review a few of my qualifications.

JustAnswer has just sent me your question. I appreciate your patience while I conducted my research and prepared your answer. After review of your question, I see that you are looking for a value for your oil painting. Since this is the case I can provide Market Value for you. Market Value is the most up-to-date price range to expect if sold today. Estimated using the prices that buyers have recently paid and sellers have accepted in the open and competitive market.

Searching hundreds of auction houses records for you provided an excellent amount of recent sales results. The majority of these results indicated that your John Gardner oil painting titled Frosty Dawn was purchasd by you only a year after his death and has a current market value of £200 - £350. The price you are able to sell for may vary depending on venue, condition, market variances, and more. Although this is the average amount that comparables are selling for today, there have been higher sales in the past indicating most markets are down at the moment.

I would recommend a starting asking price of £400

This way you can reduce accordingly if necessary because Market Value represents what someone was willing to pay for an asset, not the amount it was offered for. If this isn't what you would like, please let me know and I can provide you with Insurance value.

AppraiserAlan AOA CA Qualifications

Online Appraisal Answer Disclaimer

I hope this is the information you were looking for! If not, or you would like to know more, please reply. If I have taken care of all your needs, please make sure to rate my answer for my compensation and to close out the question.

I try to always provide Excellent Service, so if you have any other items please request me by name in a new question and I will get with you there as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!
Hello Geoff,

Have you had a chance to review my answer? Since I had not heard from you I just wanted to check and make sure you are able to see it. If there is there anything else I can help you with, please let me know! Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

to appraiser Alan AOA CA

My apologies for the delay in my reply, unfortunately I have been misinformed by a friend of mine I can now tell you the artists name is in fact Peter Gardner, and the purchase price of the painting which is oil on canvas was £200 in 1988, I hope this information may lead to a more accurate answer, yours sincerely ....

Geoff Paice

Thank you! In this case it would help me to see pictures if possible. If you can do so, please make sure to send photographs of everything as a whole and make sure to get clear images of all present identifying marks and signatures using the Macro (up close) setting on your camera.

Because we are restricted to this chat box for communication, sadly I can not give you my email address. You can try the paperclip icon in the chat box or more easily use Imgur.com (a third party site) to upload your images to the internet and then share the links here so I can see them.

How to Upload & Share Pictures using Imgur.com:
1. Go to Imgur.com
2. Click Computer under Upload Images
3. Navigate to and select your file; click Open
4. From here, you can upload more pictures or Start Upload
5. Once upload is done, click the image, copy the URL web address for each individual image and right click and paste them here. Submit the message and the links should post to our chat. (They will look like this: http://imgur.com/JMMZvm7)

I found a video of this process HERE on YouTube; it may help if needed.

If you are having any sort of problem with the upload process, please tell me which step it is and I'll see if we can walk through it together. Please let me know if you need time to get pictures or if they will not be available so we can continue accordingly. I look forward to your reply. Thank you!