Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Certified & Licensed
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

i have a water colour by william callow vue animee de venise.

Customer Question

i have a water colour by william callow vue animee de venise. would it be worth anythimg?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! It will be my pleasure to assist you today.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster as well as a USPAP compliant Accredited Appraiser of 14 years currently with the AOAppraisers. I'm ready to put my expertise, resources, and experience to work for you. Here you can review a few of my qualifications.

JustAnswer has just sent me your question. I appreciate your patience while I conducted my research and prepared your answer. After review of your question, I see that you are looking for a value for your William Callow Watercolor. Since this is the case I can provide Market Value for you. Market Value is the most up-to-date price range to expect if sold today. Estimated using the prices that buyers have recently paid and sellers have accepted in the open and competitive market.

Searching hundreds of auction houses records for you provided an excellent amount of recent sales results. The majority of these results indicated that your watercolor has a current market value of £250 - £325. The price you are able to sell for may vary depending on venue, condition, market variances, and more. Although this is the average amount that comparables are selling for today, there have been higher sales in the past indicating most markets are down at the moment.

William Callow, born in Greenwich, England, was a painter, primarily in watercolor early in his career and later in oil. His watercolor painting was a part of the very popular and respected English tradition of watercolor painting. The acceptance of this medium for visual art is linked to 18th-Century topological drawings and map making, and to watercolor sketches used for engravings of exotic sites on the Continent that were popular keepsakes for upper class English people who had taken the 'Grand Tour'.

Typically Callow's subjects were landscapes with near and far structures, marine scenes with fishing boats, and harbors with mountains as backdrops. Although he traveled extensively outside his native country, many of his painting subjects were of England.

In 1848, while still living in France but remaining in close contact with English artists, Callow was elected to the Royal Watercolour Society of London, which he served as secretary from 1866-1870. With this organization he exhibited about 1,400 paintings. In 1848, however, he turned away somewhat from watercolor and focused much effort on oil painting. Judging by his auction record history and comments of art historians, he was much more successful in the public view with watercolor making the piece you have more desirable. Willaim Callow died in 1908 at Great Missenden.

I would recommend a starting asking price of £450

This way you can reduce accordingly if necessary because Market Value represents what someone was willing to pay for an asset, not the amount it was offered for. If this isn't what you would like, please let me know and I can provide you with Insurance value.

AppraiserAlan AOA CA Qualifications

Online Appraisal Answer Disclaimer

I hope this is the information you were looking for! If not, or you would like to know more, please reply. If I have taken care of all your needs, please make sure to rate my answer for my compensation and to close out the question.

I try to always provide Excellent Service, so if you have any other items please request me by name in a new question and I will get with you there as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!