Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Can I get new/replacement canvas for 1930s pel tubular steel

Customer Question

Can I get new/replacement canvas for 1930s pel tubular steel chairs?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

.

Are you looking for a place to purchase Upholstery Canvas used on Tubular Chairs?

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not really as I do'nt have the machines or skill to make up this item as it requires rivets so I am looking for someone else who makes the set so that I can fit them

So are you wanting a place you can take the chairs to?

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I would like to buy the canvas sets and take them to the chairs, I don't need a restorer!

I will see what I can find.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanx

You are welcome, can you tell me where you are located in England, I have a friend that has an Antique Shop there, he may be able to help us>

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Halifax, West Yorkshire

Thank you, I will ask my friend. I will let you know what he says.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any word from your friend?

You know I answered this and have no idea what happen to that answer. I talked to my Friend in England, he said there is no place that sells kits to fix these that he did a few himself but the made a mess of things, so he took them to an upholsterer so they could use a rivet gun to fix them. Like you said it takes rivets and the equipment to install the rivets. He said you can eliminate the rivets and sew the canvas to the chairs, but use very strong canvas and also very strong material to sew it with so it will not stretch or break. You can purchase canvas at a fabric store.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We've already tried the homemade version and they were not adequate, they just sagged hence why I am searching for a professional maker. Will just have to keep searching elsewhere.
Thanx for your efforts
Ziggy

Ziggy

You are welcome, good luck. You may have to take them to a professional upholsterer.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bye
Bye.